Looking for a tasty, flavorful, warm, filling, comforting yet not overwhelming sandwich to make? Here it is! With only a few easy ingredients and 10-15 minutes you have this Hot & Spicy Tuna Melt ready to eat. It is great to eat for brunch or lunch, to bring along when you’re “on the go” or going for a picnic but also for dinner when you want something simple and incredibly delicious.
If there is One sandwich recipe you need in your life it’s a Tuna Melt Sandwich recipe, or more specifically This Hot & Spicy Tuna Melt recipe. It has everything you want in a sandwich; something creamy, something crunchy, something warm, something melted, something a bit greasy but, something to bite into, something to eat with your hands and something that makes your tastes buds go nuts! This version of a tuna melt is slightly spice, very creamy, just greasy enough, with a touch of Asian flavors but not overwhelming or too heavy at all. It is made with dark gluten free bread, which makes it a bit more nutritious than regular bread, filled with protein from the tuna, with a good quality flavorful aged cheese but not at all overwhelming or too greasy since its lighter in mayonnaise. If you want to make it even higher in protein you can swap Creme Fraiche for Greek yogurt or quark. This hot and spicy tuna melt is really easy and quick to make and great to eat all day round.
A few tips:
- I used a darker gluten free bread for this tuna melt. You can use any bread you like, but make it a good quality one, either if its gluten free or not A nice sourdough bread (gluten or gluten free) would also be divine for this tuna melt.
- You can use Creme Fraiche (regular or reduced fat) or Greek yogurt or quark to increase the protein content.
- The amount of sriracha can be adjusted according to how spicy you prefer your tuna melt.
- I always use a good quality aged cheese for my tuna melts, like cheddar cheese (not the “plastic” ones you use for hamburgers), Grana Padano, Parmigiano Reggiano, Gruyere. But mozzarella is actually also perfect here, with its creamy and mild flavor together with the spicy tuna mixture.
- If eating the sandwich at home you can prepare the tuna mixture in advance and assembly and fry the sandwich just before serving. Do not assembly the sandwich in advance since the bread will become soggy and wet.
- If you bring your tuna melt with you you can wrap it into aluminum foil, which will keep it warm for at least 1 hours. Make sure to wrap it well!
Ingredients for this Hot & Spicy Tuna Melt:
- Canned tuna in water
- Creme Fraiche, Greek yogurt or quark
- Dijon mustard
- Tamari or soy sauce
- Gluten free dark bread
- Cheese of your choice (I recommend a good quality aged cheese)
- Olive oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Blackberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Canned Tuna Tartare (Gluten, Grain, Dairy, Oil Free & Low Carb)
- Sandwich Two Ways – Salmon & Tuna Salad (Gluten Free)
- Bagels with Cream Cheese, Smoked Salmon & Capers (Gluten Free)
- Sweet Potato Toast with Ricotta & Grilled Blood Orange (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Poached Eggs with Greek Yogurt & Fried Halloumi (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Toast with Scrambled Eggs & Chanterelles (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Zucchini Omelette with Smoked Salmon (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Dutch Baby with Figs & Feta Cheese (Gluten Free)
- Toast with Burrata & Pesto (Gluten Free)
- Cream Cheese & Vegetable Sandwich (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Sweet Potato Toast with Prosciutto, Asparagus & Burrata (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Sweet Potato Toast with Avocado & Poached Egg (Gluten & Grain Free)
Healthier Hot & Spicy Tuna Melt (Gluten Free & Lower In Fat)
- 1 cans Tuna in water drained
- 1 dl Crème fraiche (reduced fat if prefered), Greek yogurt or quark
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise (or more crème fraiche)
- 1/2-1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2-1 tbsp Sriracha (or more if you prefer it spicier)
- 1 Scallion thinly sliced
- 4 large slices Gluten Free dark bread
- 2-4 slices Cheese of your choice (I prefer a good quality aged cheese)
- Olive oil or butter, to fry
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil or butter.
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a small bowl. Taste to check the seasoning.
- Divide the tuna mixture between two slices of bread. Add 2-4 slices of cheese (depending on how cheese your prefer your tuna melt), cover with the remaining two slices of bread.
- Add to the hot pan and fry for 3-5 minutes, until golden brown, then flip and fry for another 3-5 minutes on the other side. The sandwich should be golden brown, cheese melted and the tuna mixture warm.
- Place on a cutting board, slice in two. Place on two plates, along with a salad if preferred. Eat while warm.