This recipe is for a delicious, tasty and easy Blackberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich. This blackberry grilled cheese sandwich is made with just a few ingredients and ready to serve in 15 minutes. Make this blackberry grilled cheese sandwich for brunch, lunch or serve it as a starter. It is both vegetarian and gluten free.
I guess most of us have had a grilled cheese sandwich?! And I’m guessing most of us like it? Because what’s not to like? Bread and melted cheese just can’t go wrong? Grilled cheese sandwiches are really easy and quick to make and are so delicious. But they are maybe not the healthiest or most nutritious foods to make… at least not when you make a “classic” grilled cheese. But you can actually make them even tastier, more nutritious and a bit more healthy by pimping them up slightly. Switch the white toast bread for a well baked bread (preferably from a local bakery), use good quality cheese instead of over processed cheese and add some delicious and interesting add-ins. This grilled cheese sandwich is made with good quality gluten free bread, mozzarella, goat cheese, fresh blackberries, honey, pistachio nuts and some arugula. It is a mix of creamy, crunchy, savory, sweet, tangy and slightly peppery, which makes this grilled cheese incredibly delicious, flavorful and takes a classic grilled cheese to the next level. This grilled cheese sandwich is great to make for both brunch, lunch, afternoon snack or to serve it as a starter. It is both vegetarian and gluten free.
A few tips:
- Use good quality bread instead of classic white toast bread. It really makes a difference.
- Skip the processed yellow cheese and use good quality cheese like mozzarella, goat cheese, gruyère, good quality cheddar, brie or camembert to mention a few.
- I used mozzarella and goat cheese in this sandwich, but you can really use any cheese that you like or have at home. As long as it is a good quality one.
- Using honey/agave/fiber syrup is optional but recommended. It makes a wonderful contrast to the melted, savory and slightly tangy cheese and pairs so well with both blackberries and pistachio nuts.
- Fry the toast on medium heat, making sure the pan isn’t too hot so the sandwich doesn’t burn. I like to put a lid over the sandwich to make sure it gets warm inside and the cheese melts well.
- This toast is best served warm, hence I wouldn’t recommend you to prepare it in advance.
Ingredients for this Blackberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- Gluten free good quality bread
- Goat cheese
- Honey/Agave/Fiber Syrup (optional)
- Pistachio nuts
- Olive oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Sandwich Two Ways – Salmon & Tuna Salad (Gluten Free)
- Bagels with Cream Cheese, Smoked Salmon & Capers (Gluten Free)
- Sweet Potato Toast with Ricotta & Grilled Blood Orange (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Poached Eggs with Greek Yogurt & Fried Halloumi (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Toast with Scrambled Eggs & Chanterelles (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Zucchini Omelette with Smoked Salmon (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Dutch Baby with Figs & Feta Cheese (Gluten Free)
- Toast with Burrata & Pesto (Gluten Free)
- Cream Cheese & Vegetable Sandwich (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Sweet Potato Toast with Prosciutto, Asparagus & Burrata (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Sweet Potato Toast with Avocado & Poached Egg (Gluten & Grain Free)
Blackberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- 4 slices Gluten free bread
- 50 g Goat cheese crumbled
- 1 Mozzarella sliced
- 10-12 Blackberries
- 1/2-1 tbsp Honey, agave or fiber syrup (optional)
- 10 Pistachio nuts roughly chopped
- Arugula, to taste
- 1-2 tsp Olive oil
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with half of the olive oil.
- Crumble half of the goat cheese over two slices of bread, add half of the mozzarella slices on top. Drizzle some honey over the mozzarella (if using), then divide the pistachio nuts, arugula and blackberries evenly over the toast (you can mash them slightly if preferred). Add remaining slices of mozzarella and crumble the rest of the goat cheese over it. Place the remaining slices of bread over it.
- Fry in the pan over medium heat (you can cover the pan with a lid to make sure the cheese melts well), turn when the first side has turned golden brown and fry on the other side until golden brown. Add remaining oil if needed.
- Cut in two and serve warm.