This is a delicious, flavorful, easy and healthy recipe for a wonderful Zucchini Omelette with Smoked Salmon. You only need about 15 minutes and a few easy ingredients to make this zucchini omelette. Serve it for breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon snack or bring it along on a picnic. This omelette is gluten free.
Omelettes are my go to “fast food” or when I just want to eat something that is both easy to make, filling yet fresh and light at the same time. The best parts with omelettes is that you can vary them endlessly and add anything you’re in the mood for. This version is a fresh, light yet tasty and flavorful omelette made with zucchini, fresh herbs and pecorino. You can make it with a little bit of flour to make it slightly thicker and filling, but that is optional and not required. I topped my zucchini omelette with Creme Fraiche/Greek yogurt, smoked salmon, avocado, scallion and parsley, which makes it a lovely and delicious meal that is filling, healthy and fresh at the same time.
A few tips:
- Use a fresh and juicy zucchini and one that is getting soggy and dry.
- Make sure to squeeze out as much excess water as possible from the zucchini to avoid it from turning out too wet.
- You can add a little bit of flour to the batter if you want to make it a little thicker and more filling. But it is great without, I did not use any flour.
- The omelette also includes a mix of fresh herbs. I used parsley, basil, chives and mint. You can use any herbs that you like or have at home.
- I used a little bit of pecorino cheese to make the omelette a bit creamier and flavorful. You can use any cheese you like, but I would recommend you to use a flavorful one.
- Fry the omelette on medium high heat to make sure it turn golden brown and sets, without getting burnt or dry. Do not fry it for too long so that it gets dry.
Ingredients for this Zucchini Omelette with Smoked Salmon:
- Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (optional)
- Fresh herbs (I used parsley, basil, chives & mint)
- Olive oil
- Greek yogurt or creme fraiche
- Smoked salmon
Other recipes you might like:
- Zucchini & Ricotta Frittata (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Asparagus & Feta Cheese Omelette (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Poached Eggs with Yogurt & Tomatoes (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Savory Egg Muffins (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Soufflé Omelette with Mushrooms (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
- Asparagus Frittata with Pesto & Burrata (Vegetarian, Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Dutch Baby with Figs & Feta Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Poached Eggs with Greek Yogurt & Fried Halloumi (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Kimchi & Scallion Omelette (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
Zucchini Omelette with Smoked Salmon (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
For the omelette
- 1/2-3/4 Zucchini grated
- 3 Eggs Whisked
- 1/2 dl Gluten Free All purpose Flour (optional, can be skipped)
- 2-4 tbsp Pecorino (or any other flavorful cheese) grated
- 3-4 tbsp Fresh herbs (I used parsley, basil, chives and mint) chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Olive oil
For the topping
- 1/2 dl Greek yogurt or creme fraiche
- 2-3 slices Smoked salmon
- 1/2 Avocado pitted, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/3 Scallion thinly sliced
- Fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat a small/medium sized nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- Grate the zucchini and squeeze out as much excess water as you can, to make sure the omelette doesn't turn out too wet.
- Whisk the eggs until slightly fluffy, stir in the flour (if using, it can easily be skipped, but the omelette becomes a little thicker and filling with the flour).
- Add the zucchini, chopped herbs, cheese and salt and whisk together.
- Pour the omelette mixture to the hot pan and fry for about 3-5 minutes on each side (the frying time will vary depending on the size of your pan), until it has set and is golden brown. Do not fry for too long to avoid it from getting dry. It should be golden brown and have set, but still be moist and juicy in the middle.
- Top the omelette with yogurt/Creme fraiche, smoked salmon, avocado, scallion and fresh parsley.