This is a tender and delicious Cherry Almond Cake that is great to bake both with fresh cherries during summer or use frozen once when not in season. This cake is easy and quick to throw together, baked with easy and healthy ingredients. Serve this cake as an afternoon snack or dessert. It is both gluten, oil and sugar free.
Baking with cherries is one of my favorite things. I’m a huge cherry fan. I love them fresh, bake with them, make my own jam and marmalade and to serve them with both sweet and savory dishes. They have a delicious sweet and slightly tart taste, a lovely texture and wonderful color. This cake is a tender, moist and super delicious cake that is delicate and fresh at the same time. It is made with healthy ingredients and really easy to throw together. The combination of sweet and slightly tart cherries and sweet slightly earthy almonds is wonderfulI. The cake also has a slight taste of vanilla and cinnamon, adding a warm feeling to it. Since this cake is both gluten, oil and sugar free it is great to serve all day round. Top it with some greek yogurt, whipped Creme fraiche or ice cream.
A few tips:
- Use darker cherries if you can since they are sweeter than the slighter once. You want them to add both sweetness and that wonderful slightly tart taste. But you don’t want them to be too sour.
- You can use greek yogurt or quark in this cake. The taste will vary slightly. Depending on if you use regular or reduced fat yogurt/quark the texture and taste will also turn out slightly different.
- Make sure to distribute the cherries evenly in the spring form.
- Do not over mix the batter. Stir just until combined.
- Let the cake cool completely before removing it from the spring form and topping it with powdered sugar.
Ingredients fot this Cherry Almond Cake:
- Apple sauce
- Greek yogurt or quark
- Milk (I used almond)
- Vanilla extract or stevia vanilla drops
- Granulated sugar free sweetener
- Oat flour
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Slivered almonds
- Sugar free powdered sugar
Other recipes you might like:
- Yogurt Parfait with Cherries & Chocolate Waffles (Vegetarian, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Raspberry Crumble Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Vanilla Ricotta Cake with Raspberries (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Peach & Almond Cake (GLuten & Sugar Free)
- Cherry Galette (Vegan, Gluten, Sugar Free & Lower in Fat)
- Rhubarb, Strawberry Vanilla Custard Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Almond Poppy Seed Cake with Plums (Gluten, Grain, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Fudgy Black Bean Cherry Brownies (Vegan, GLuten, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Cherry Chocolate Crumble Bars (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Walnut & Honey Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (Gluten, Oil & Refined Sugar Free)
Cherry Almond Cake (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- 1/2 Banana mashed
- 3/4 dl Apple sauce
- 1 dl Greek yogurt or quark
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract (or 6-10 vanilla drops)
- 2 dl Granulated sugar free sweetener
- 3 Eggs
- 4 dl Oat flour
- 1/2 dl Almond flour
- 1/2 dl Coconut flour
- 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/3 tsp Baking soda
- 1/3 tsp Salt
- 30-40 Cherries pitted and cut in half
- Slivered almonds
- Sugar free powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Line or grease a spring form.
- Combine oat, almond, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and sweetener in a separate bowl until slightly fluffy.
- Add mashed banana, apple sauce, greek yogurt, milk and vanilla extract/stevia drops.
- Add the dry ingredients little by little and stir together until you have a smooth batter. Do not stir too much.
- Fold in the pitted cherries.
- Pour the batter into the lined spring form. Make sure the cherries are distribute evenly. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Take out and let it cool.
- Top with powdered sugar just before serving.