This recipe is for a delicious, flavorful yet light and fresh Walnut Honey Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. This cake is really quick and easy to make. Serve it as an afternoon treat or dessert. This cake is both gluten, oil and refined sugar free.
There are few things that make such a wonderful combination as walnuts and honey, especially in a cake and with cream cheese frosting on top. This walnuts honey cake has been a true favorite both for me and my friends and family. This is the cake everyone asked me to bake if I ask them what to bake! This cake is flavorful, delicious, delicate and light at the same time. It is made using both oat, coconut and walnut flour that makes the perfect combination of a tender and fluffy cake. It is super moist and flavorful, but since it’s made with both yogurt and apple sauce it feels more light and fresh than a regular cake that includes wither butter or oil. I topped this cake with a cream cheese frosting made with both cream cheese and some greek yogurt to make it feel lighter and add a freshness to the cake. This cake is super easy to make, only requires 10 minutes of your time and taste amazing. It is perfect to serve as an afternoon treat/snack since its both gluten, oil and refined sugar free. But delicious enough to make for desserts since it’s super moist, flavorful and delicious.
A few tips:
- Make sure to use good quality walnuts. And chop them roughly, not too small neither too big. You want to really feel the walnuts, but they still shouldn’t take over the cake.
- If you don’t have walnuts flour you can grind your walnuts into a fine flour using a high speed blender.
- You can also replace the walnuts flour with almond flour if preferred.
- I used both cream cheese and greek yogurt for the frosting, but you can replace the greek yogurt with more cream cheese if you like.
- Let the cake cool completely before adding the frosting on top to make sure it doesn’t melt.
- Topping the cake with more walnuts and fiber syrup/honey or agave is optional but recommend.
Ingredients for this Walnut Honey Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Stevia granulated sugar
- Unsweetened apple sauce
- Greek yogurt (I used 0% fat)
- Fiber syrup, honey or agave
- Oat flour
- Coconut flour
- Walnut flour (or almond flour)
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Lemon juice
Other recipe you might like:
- Cream Cheese Filled Banana Muffin Cups (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Almond & Poppy Seed Cake with Plums (Vegan, Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Chai Spiced Pear Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Gingerbread Muffins with Lingonberries (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Spiced Sheet Cake (Gluten, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Polenta Cake with Mascarpone Cream & Figs (Gluten, Egg & Sugar Free)
- Fig Coffee Cake (Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Apple Ricotta Cake (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Bundt Cake with Plum Jam (Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
Walnut Honey Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (Gluten, Oil & Refined Sugar Free)
For the cake
- 1 1/2-2 dl Stevia granulated sugar
- 3/4 dl Unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 Eggs
- 2 dl Greek yogurt (I used 0% fat)
- 3/4 dl Fiber syrup, honey or agave
- 2 1/2 dl Oat flour
- 1/2 dl Coconut flour
- 1 dl Walnut Flour (or almond flour if you don't have walnuts flour)
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 3/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 dl Walnuts roughly chopped
For the frosting
- 200 g Cream cheese (I used reduced fat)
- 1 dl Greek yogurt (I used 0% fat)
- 1-3 tbsp Stevia granulated sugar (depending on how sweet you prefer your frosting)
- 1-2 tbsp Fiber syrup, honey, agave
- 1/2-1 tsp Lemon juice
- Walnuts, to top roughly chopped
- Fiber syrup, honey or agave, to top (optional)
- Line or grease a 20 cm spring form.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Add stevia granulated sugar, apple sauce, yogurt, fiber syrup to a blender and mix.
- Add eggs, one by one and mix in between until incorporated.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and combine.
- Add the dry ingredients little by little to the wet and stir to combine.
- When you have a smooth batter add the chopped walnuts and stir to incorporate.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25-35 minutes. Insert a toothpick or knife to check so it comes out clean.
- Take out the cake from the oven and let it cool completely before removing it from the spring form.
- Meanwhile prepare the frosting by adding cream cheese, Greek yogurt, sugar, lemon juice and fiber syrup, honey or agave to a bowl and mixing using a hand mixer until combined and creamy. Place in the fridge until ready to frost the cake.
- When the cake has cooled add the frosting on top and top with walnuts and drizzle more fiber syrup/honey/agave on top (if using).