This is a tender and delicious Cherry Sour Cream Streusel Cake that is great to bake both with fresh cherries during summer or use frozen once when not in season. This cake is quick and easy to bake, using easy and healthy ingredients. Serve this cake as an afternoon snack or dessert. It is gluten, oil and sugar free.
I’m a huge cherry lover, hence cooking and baking with cherries is on top of my list when in season. I love eating them just as they are, use them in baking, cook my own cherry jams and marmalades or include them in savory dishes or pairing them with cheese. With their sweet and slightly tart taste, lovely texture and wonderful color they’re a wonderful both in sweet and savory dishes. This cake is soft and tender with swirl of both cherry jam and sour cream with a nice streusel on top. The combination of sweet yet tart cherries and the creamy and tangy sour cream makes such a wonderful combination, adding both moist, flavor and texture to the cake. Not only is this cake incredibly delicious, it’s also baked with healthier and more nutritious ingredients. It is also gluten, nut and sugar free.
A few tips:
- Use darker cherries if you can since they are sweeter than the lighter once. You want them to be sweetness and slightly tart, but ot too sour.
- I used sour cream in my cake. It adds moist, a lovely tangy flavor and makes the cake juicy. You can however replace the sour cream with greek yogurt, Creme fraiche or quark if preferred. Have in mind that the taste and texture will change slightly depending on which one you use.
- Make sure to dollop the cherry jam and sour cream evenly in the spring form, swirling it around all over the cake.
- Do not over mix the batter. Stir just until combined.
- Let the cake cool completely before removing it from the spring form and topping it with powdered sugar.
Ingredients for this Cherry Sour Cream Streusel Cake:
- Monk fruit sweetener
- Sour cream
- Stevia vanilla drops/vanilla extract
- Oat flour
- Corn flour
- Coconut flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Cherry jam
- Almond flour
- Coconut oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Yogurt Parfait with Cherries & Chocolate Waffles (Vegetarian, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Raspberry Crumble Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Vanilla Ricotta Cake with Raspberries (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Peach & Almond Cake (GLuten & Sugar Free)
- Cherry Galette (Vegan, Gluten, Sugar Free & Lower in Fat)
- Rhubarb, Strawberry Vanilla Custard Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Almond Poppy Seed Cake with Plums (Gluten, Grain, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Fudgy Black Bean Cherry Brownies (Vegan, GLuten, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Cherry Chocolate Crumble Bars (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Walnut & Honey Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (Gluten, Oil & Refined Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Sour Cream Plum Cake (Gluten, Sugar Nut & Oil Free)
Cherry Sour Cream Streusel Cake (Gluten, Nut & Sugar Free)
For the cake
- 3 Eggs
- 2 (4/5) dl (cups) Monk fruit sweetener
- 1/2 small Banana mashed
- 1/2 (1/5) dl (cups) Applesauce
- 1 + 1/2-1 (2/5 + 1/5-2/5) dl (cups) Sour cream
- 5-6 drop Stevia vanilla drops
- 2 dl Oat flour
- 3/4 dl Corn flour
- 1/4 dl Coconut flour
- 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/3 tsp Salt
- 1 dl Cherry jam (see note 1 for the one I used)
For the streusel
- 3/4 dl Oat flour
- 1/4 dl Almond flour
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/2-1 1/2 tsp Applesauce
- Cinnamon, to taste (optional)
- Start by cooking the cherry jam if using home made. See note 1 for the one I made.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Line or grease a 16-18 cm spring form.
- Add eggs and granulated sweetener to a bowl. Whisk until smooth, fluffy and the mixture has turned quite pale using an electric whisk.
- Add mashed banana, apple sauce, 1 dl sour cream and vanilla drops. Stir/whisk until fully incorporated. Don't whisk for too long.
- Combine the oat flour, corn flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
- Gently and little by little add the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring gently until combined. Don't stir too much.
- Next combine the ingredients for the streusel in a bowl. If too dry add a little more apple sauce or coconut oil.
- Pour the batter into the prepared spring form.
- Dollop the cherry jam over the cake, then using a knife or skewer make swirls in the batter.
- Dollop sour cream (1/2-1 dl) depending on how much you prefer. Make swirls using a knife or skewer.
- Sprinkle the streusel over the cake and press gently down to make sure it sits after baking.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 36-42 minutes, until an inserted knife or skewer comes out clean.
- Take out and let the cake cool before removing it from the spring form and cutting it.