This is a delicious, summery and tasty recipe for Yogurt Parfait with Cherries & Chocolate Waffles. This yogurt parfait is quick and easy to make only requiring a few staple ingredients. Serve this parfait for breakfast, as an afternoon snack or dessert. It is both vegetarian, gluten and sugar free.
This classic French dessert that usually is made from a base of sugar syrup, egg, and cream that is frozen (not churned), making it possible to make in any kitchen without any additional kitchen equipment. It is usually served with fruits and berries. I love the idea of parfait, not only for dessert purpose. But you might not want to eat ice cream for breakfast, hence created this yogurt, chocolate waffle and cherry parfait. This parfait is really easy to make, only using a few easy ingredients. It has Greek yogurt as the base and is then layered with a home cooked cherry jam, delicious rich chocolate waffles and fresh cherries on top. It is great to serve both for breakfast, afternoon snack or as a healthy dessert. It is both vegetarian, gluten and grain free.
A few tips:
- The cherry jam can be prepared in advance. You can also use a store bought cherry jam.
- Adjust the amount of sweetener in the jam depending on how sweet/tart your cherries are and how sweet you prefer your jam.
- I love to serve this parfait with a warm jam, because it makes a wonderful contrast to the cold and fresh yogurt.
- The amount of cacao for the waffles can be adjusted according to how rich chocolate flavor you prefer. But this might also require a little bit more milk. Make the batter and then check if more milk is needed.
- Break the waffles into smaller pieces before layering the parfait to make it easier to eat, not having to break them with the spoon while eating.
- You can of course also make this parfait with ice cream/whipped cream as well.
Ingredients for this Yogurt Parfait with Cherries & Chocolate Waffles:
- Xylitol (Granulated sweetener)
- Oat flour
- Cacao powder
- Baking powder
- Stevia vanilla drops
- Coconut oil
- Greek yogurt
Other recipes you might like:
- Strawberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Cookie Dough Nice Cream (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Cottage Cheese Yogurt Soufflé (Gluten, Grain, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Battered Banana Pancakes (Gluten, Dairy & Sugar Free)
- Breakfast Apple Pie (Gluten, Nut, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Swedish Semla Chia Pudding (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Cardamom Poached Pears with Yogurt & Granola (Vegetarian & Sugar Free)
- Cinnamon Overnight Oats with Fried Apples & Yogurt (Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Baked Pears with Warm Syrup Sauce (Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Layered Overnight Oats (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Strawberry & Mascarpone Dessert with Elderflower (Gluten, Grain, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Greek Yogurt with Home Made Raspberry Jam & Granola (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- No Bake Toffee Mini Cheesecakes (Gluten, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
Yogurt Parfait with Cherries & Chocolate Waffles (Vegetarian, Gluten & Sugar Free)
For the cherry jam
- 150 g Cherries pitted
- 1-2 dl Water
- 1-3 tbsp Xylitol
For the waffles
- 1 1/2 dl Oat flour
- 1/3-1/2 dl Cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp Xylitol (optional, if you prefer sweeter waffles)
- 1 1/2- 1 3/4 dl Milk
- 1 Egg
- 4-5 drops Stevia vanilla drops
- Coconut oil, to fry
For the parfait
- 4 dl Greek yogurt
- 12 Cherries
- Start by adding all ingredients for the cherry jam in a small pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer until the cherries are soft and the water has evaporated. Stir regularly and add more water as needed.
- When the jam is done start making the waffles by preheating the waffle iron on medium/high heat.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl, stir in milk and stevia drops.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and whisk until you have a smooth batter. The amount of cacao powder can be adapted according to how strong chocolate taste you prefer. The amount of milk might need to be adapted slightly as well depending on how much cacao powder you use.
- Brush the waffle iron with coconut oil well to make sure the waffles doesn't stick.
- Add batter to your waffle iron and bake the waffles until golden brown. The time will vary between different waffle irons.
- When the waffles are done break them into smaller pieces.
- Fill up four glasses with Greek yogurt about 1/3-1/2 way up. Layer with cherry jam, pieces of waffles, more yogurt, pieces of waffles and top with fresh cherries on top. Serve immediately.