This recipe is for a tender, delicious yet light and fresh Rhubarb, Strawberry & Vanilla Custard Cake. This cake is both super delicious and easy to make. Make it for a fresh and tasty summer dessert, birthday or when you just want something sweet yet healthy. This cake is both gluten and sugar free.
Rhubarb and strawberries have to be one of the most delicious combinations ever! The tart rhubarb pairs so well with the sweet and tender strawberries! But what’s even better is to combine it with vanilla custard! Seriously, Im in heaven! I really can’t come to think of many combinations or desserts that beats this one. The cake is tender, light yet sweet and delicious. The vanilla custard that is added to the batter just makes the cake even more tender, moist and adds a wonderful creaminess to it. This cake is really great to make when you want a sweet, delicious yet fresh and healthy dessert. It is perfect to serve after a BBQ or summer dinner, as a birthday cake or just to make when you want a delicious summer treat. This cake is both gluten and sugar free.
A few tips:
- Start by preparing the custard, it needs to cool down a bit before being added to the batter. You can also use a store bough vanilla custard if you don’t want to make your own.
- You might need a little more or less corn starch. So start by adding about 1 tablespoon and then stirring thoroughly and adding 1/2 tablespoon at a time if needed.
- Make sure to stir the custard regularly to avoid lumps in it.
- When making the batter don’t mix it for too long in the high speed blender. Use a low speed and mix just until combined. You can of course also make this cake in a bowl mixing using a beater or fork.
- Let the cake cool for at least 30 minutes, but preferably even longer for it to set properly.
- Don’t add the icing sugar on top until the cake has cooled.
Ingredients for this. Rhubarb, Strawberry & Vanilla Custard Cake:
- Plant based milk
- Vanilla powder, vanilla extract or vanilla stevia drops
- Stevia granular sugar
- Corn starch
- Coconut oil
- Unsweetened apple sauce
- Plain yogurt or greek yogurt (thick)
- Stevia vanilla drops
- Oat flour
- Rice flour
- Almond flour
- Baking soda
- Slivered almonds
- Stevia icing sugar
Other recipes you might like:
- Blueberry Vanilla Cream Crumble Cake (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Almond Poppy Seed Cake with Plums
- Chai Spiced Pear Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Vanilla Custard with Rhubarb Compote (Vegan & Sugar Free)
- Rhubarb & Cardamom Cake (Gluten, Sugar & Oil Free)
Rhubarb, Strawberry & Vanilla Custard Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
For the custard
- 1 dl Plant based milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla powder (or vanilla extract or 5-6 vanilla stevia drops)
- 1-2 tbsp Stevia granular sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Corn starch
For the cake
- 2 dl Stevia granular sugar
- 4 tbsp Coconut oil melted and slighly cooled
- 1 dl Unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 Eggs
- 2 dl Plain yogurt or greek yogurt (thick one)
- 3-4 drops Stevia vanilla drops
- 2 1/2 dl Oat flour
- 1/2 dl Rice flour
- 1 dl Almond flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 dl Rhubarb diced
- 1 dl Strawberries diced
- Rhubarb stems, to garnish
- Slivered almonds, to garnish
- Stevia icing sugar, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celcius.
- Line or grease a spring form.
- Add all the ingredients for the vanilla custard to a small pot (start by only adding 1 tablespoon of corn starch and add 1/2 tablespoon at a time more if needed). Let it shimmer on low heat, stirring regularly to avoid any lumps in the custard.
- Taste to check if more vanilla or sweetener is needed.
- When the sauce has thickened turn off the heat and let it cool a little while you prepare the cake batter.
- Add stevia granular sugar, coconut oil, apple sauce to a high speed blender and mix until a little fluffy and smooth.
- Add eggs, yogurt and stevia vanilla drops and mix again, just until combined.
- In another bowl combine oat flour, rice flour, almonds flour, baking soda and salt and stir until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and run in the blender on low speed, just until combined.
- Add the vanilla custard and stir using a spatula until incorporated in the batter.
- Add the diced rhubarb and strawberries and fold in using a spatula.
- Add the batter to the spring form. Top with rhubarb stems and slivered almonds.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25-35 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cook for at least 30 minutes allowing it to set.
- Top with stevia icing sugar.
3 thoughts on “Rhubarb, Strawberry & Vanilla Custard Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)”