This recipe is for a Pavlova with Summer Fruits & Berries. This recipe requires some preparation in advance, but the pavlova itself is really easy to make. It only requires a few key ingredients and about 15 minutes of your time. It is perfect to serve as a summer dessert, birthday cake or to include in a buffet. It is both sugar free and low carb.
Pavlova has become one of my favorite desserts! Both during summer and the rest of the year. It is perfect when you want to make something that can be prepared in advance and when you want something that is easy to vary depending on season. The merengue itself has to be prepared in advance, preferably one day before. Therefore a pavlova is perfect to make when you want a dessert that can be prepared in advance without getting old or dry. Then you just whip the cream and top with your favorite fruits and berries when ready to serve. This pavlova is perfect to make during summer when you want to top it with lot of fresh summer fruits and berries. I used a mix of all my favorites and then topped it with grated chocolate. This pavlova is perfect to serve as a summer dessert, birthday cake or to include in a buffet. It is both sugar free and low carb.
A few tips:
- When preparing the merengue make sure you use a clean bowl and mixer. Otherwise you might risk the egg whites not turning into merengue.
- When adding the sugar/sweetener add a little at a time and mix until it is fully incorporated in the merengue and has dissolved. Then add some more and repeat.
- You need to whip the egg white for up to 10 minutes. High peaks should form and it should be a little glossy.
- You can adapt the amount of suger/sweetener according to taste.
- You can form the merengue into any shape you like and prefer, but the baking time might vary a bit depending on the shape and size. You can also make 2-3 smaller merengues instead of one big if you prefer them smaller.
- The merengue is ready when it is firm and dry on the outside. But you need to leave it inside of the oven for 3-4 hours, until completely cooled.
Ingredients for this Pavlova with Summer Fruits & Berries:
- Egg whites
- Stevia granular sugar
- Vanilla stevia drops
- Corn starch
- White wine vinegar
- Heavy cream
- Passion fruit
- Dark chocolate
Other recipes you might like:
- Dessert Pizza with Fruits & Berries (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Rhubarb, Strawberry & Vanilla Custard Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Mini Strawberry Cake (Vegan, Gluten, Dairy, Grain & Sugar Free)
- Peach Galette (Gluten, Sugar Free & Lower in Fat)
- Cherry Cheese Cake (Gluten, Sugar Free & Lower in Fat)
Pavlova with Summer Fruits & Berries (Sugar Free & Low Carb)
For the merengue
- 4 Egg whites room temperatured
- 1 1/2-2 Stevia granular sugar
- A pinch of Salt
- 4-5 drops Vanilla stevia drops
- 2 tsp Corn starch
- 1 tsp White wine vinegar
For the topping
- 2 dl Heavy cream whipped
- 2-4 tbsp Stevia granular sugar (optional)
- 2-3 drops Vanilla stevia drops
- 1-2 Passion fruits
- 1-2 Peaches cut into wedges
- 6 Strawberries quartered
- 1/2 dl Blueberries
- 1/2 dl Strawberries
- Dark chocolate grated
- Preheat the oven 160 degrees Celcius.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Add egg white and salt to a clean (really has to be clean otherwise the egg whites might not turn into merengue) and whisk using an electric hand mixer until stiff peaks form. This can take up top 10 minutes.
- Next add a little sugar at a time to the merengue (about 1/2 dl at a time) and whisk until the sugar has dessolved and is incorporated in the merengue. Then add the next batch of sugar.
- When all sugar is incorporated in the merengue whisk for another 2-3 minutes.
- Combine the stevia vanilla drops, corn starch and white wine vinegar in a bowl. Add to the merengue and whisk again, just until incporporated.
- Spread the merengue into desired form on the parchment paper. You can either make one big merengue or 2-3 smaller once.
- Place in the oven and lower the heat to 120 degrees Celcius. Bake in the oven for 45-65 minutes (if you make smaller once they take less time and making one bigger one will take around 60 minutes). Turn off the oven and let the merengue rest in the oven for 4 hours, until fully cooled.
- When ready to serve whip the cream with stevia granular sugar and vanilla drops (if using), or skip the sugar if you prefer less sweet cream.
- Place the whipped cream on top of the merengue and top with fruits and berries. Grate some chocolate on top if prefered.