This is a delicious, easy and healthier recipe for a spiced sheet cake. This cake is light, fresh yet flavorful and warming from all the spices. It’s both gluten, sugar and oil free. By replacing the cream cheese for a non-dairy one you can make this cake dairy free as well.
Spiced cakes have a special place in my heart. I love that they’re sweet, but still have a bit of punch due to all the lovely spices. All though I can find them a bit too heavy for my taste. Thats why I wanted to make a lighter, healthier and easy version. This spiced cake is baked using apple sauce and oat flour. The apple sauce provides both sweetness, moist and makes it healthier since it replaces some of the sugar and all of the butter/coconut oil. If making your own apple sauce make sure to use sweet apples, since the sauce acts as a sweetener in this recipe. But I also added a bit of stevia granular sugar. If you prefer your cake sweeter you can easily add more sugar, according to taste. The frosting is made using reduced fat cream cheese, stevia sugar and cinnamon, which also contributes to the lighter feeling of this cake. If you want to make the cake dairy free you can easily replace the cream cheese for a vegan or other dairy free option. It might affect the taste slightly, but not to any larger extent.
A few tips:
- Use sweet apples if making your own apple sauce, since the apple sauce acts as a sweetener in this cake.
- I also added a little bit of stevia granular sugar. If you prefer you cake even sweeter, go ahead and add some more.
- I have not tried baking this cake with any other sugars, but I would guess it works just as good with regular or coconut sugar.
- Make sure the cake cools completely before you add the frosting on top, you don’t want the frosting to melt.
- The cake should be stored in the fridge.
- It’s should be good to store for up to five days.
- I would not recommend you to freeze this cake.
Ingredients for this Spiced Sheet Cake:
- Apple sauce
- Stevia granular sugar
- Oat flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- All spice
- Cream cheese (reduced fat)
- Stevia granular sugar
Other recipes you might like:
- Cream Cheese Filled Banana Muffin Cups
- Fudgy Black Bean Cherry Brownies (Vegan, Gluten, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Chai Spiced Pear Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free, Naturally Sweetened with Fruit)
- Gingerbread Muffins with Lingonberries (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Lava Cake (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
Spiced Sheet Cake (Gluten, Sugar & Oil Free)
For the cake
- 2 1/2 dl Apple sauce
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 dl Stevia granular sugar
- 2 1/2 dl Oat flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp All spice
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
For the frosting
- 75 g Cream cheese (reduced fat If desired)
- 2 tbsp Stevia granular sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celcius.
- Lina a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add apple sauce and egg to a blender and mix until smooth.
- Add the sugar and mix again.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the blender and mix until smooth. Dont mix too long.
- Pour the batter to the prepared baking pan and bake in the oven for 25-28 minutes. Until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile combine the ingredients for the frosting in a bowl and mix using a electric mixer until smooth. Store in the fridge until using.
- Let the cake cool completely before adding the frosting on top.