This is a recipe for healthier carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. These cupcakes are super moist, delicious and cute. They are both vegan, gluten and sugar free, but still taste divine. Since they’re baked using healthier ingredients they’re good to serve both as a healthy afternoon snack or for dessert.
Who else love a good carrot cake? Or in this case carrot cake cupcakes. I do! It’s one of my favorite sweet treats. I love how the flavorful cinnamon spices cake together with sweet and juicy carrots make such a delicious combination, not to mention the lovely texture you get from the carrots. And then the frosting! The frosting is everything. But I do like my frosting less heavy and really prefer to keep them fresh and light. This carrot cake cupcake recipe is both vegan, gluten and sugar free and a healthier option than regular ones. The cupcake base is made with rice flour, out flour, apple sauce and just a little bit of olive oil. The olive oil can be replaced by more apple sauce if you prefer an oil free cake, but it will affect the texture slightly and make it a bit more yummy. The frosting is made using vegan cream cheese and vegan thick yogurt, which makes it lighter and have a fresher taste to it. Carrot Cake Cupcakes (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
A few tips:
- Make sure to really squeeze out the water from the grated carrots. Otherwise the cupcakes will turn out too wet.
- Preferably use sweeter apples for the apple sauce if making your own, since it provides sweetness to the cupcakes.
- Let the cupcakes cool down completely before adding the frosting, otherwise the frosting might melt.
- Store the cupcakes in the fridge, they are good to store for up to five days.
Ingredients for these Carrot Cake Cupcakes:
- Apple sauce
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
- Oat flour
- Rice flour
- Stevia granular sugar
- Baking soda
- Vegan cream cheese
- Vegan thick yogurt
- Stevia icing sugar
- Lemon juice
Other recipes you might like:
- Mini Strawberry Cake (Vegan, Gluten, Dairy, Grain, Sugar Free)
- Cream Cheese Filled Banana Muffin Cups
- Fudgy Black Bean Cherry Brownies (Vegan, Gluten, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Pear & Pecan Muffins (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free, Naturally Sweetened with Fruit)
- Apple & Cinnamon Oat Muffins with Oat Crumble (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Gingerbread Muffins with Lingonberries (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Spiced Sheet Cake (Gluten, Sugar & Oil Free)
Carrot Cake Cupcakes (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
For the cupcakes
- 1 1/2 dl Apple sauce
- 2 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 dl Olive oil (can be replaced by more apple sauce but it will affect the texture making it more "yummy")
- 1 1/2 dl Oat flour
- 1 1/2 dl Rice flour
- 1 dl Stevia granular sugar
- 2/3 tsp Baking soda
- 2/3 tsp Salt
- 3 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 (2 dl) medium sized Carrots coursly grated
For the frosting
- 1 dl Vegan cream cheese
- 1 dl Vegan thick greek yogurt
- 1-2 tsp Stevia icing sugar
- 1/2-1 tsp Lemon juice
For the topping
- 8 Walnuts (optional) chopped
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Add apple sauce, apple cider vinegar and olive oil to a blender and mix until combined.
- Combine oat flour, rice flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Add stevia sugar to the applesauce mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the blender and mix just until combined.
- Grate the carrots and squeeze out the water.
- Fold into the batter using a spitula.
- Add batter to 8 cupcake molds.
- Bake in the oven for 18-21 minutes, until a inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let them cool. They are even better the day after.
- Before serving them add the ingredients for the frosting into a bowl and mix using a hand mixer.
- Add the frosting on top, either by just using a spoon or by using a piping tip.
- Top with chopped walnuts (if using)