This is a delicious and tasty recipe for Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins that you have to try if you love cherries and chocolate. These muffins are made with simple, easy and healthy ingredients and are quick to throw together. They are great to serve both for breakfast since they’re sugar free and made with healthy ingredients, but also delicious enough to have as an afternoon snack or dessert. These cherry chocolate muffins are both gluten and sugar free.
Cherries are one of my favorite summer fruits, and my all time favorite pairing with cherries is chocolate. It’s a match made in heaven combining sweet and slightly tart cherries with the rich, bitter and slightly sweet chocolate. Not only are the tastes wonderful together, but they’re also a beautiful color combination and a lovely contrast in texture. These cherry chocolate chip muffins are a great, easy and healthy bake if you want to make something delicious combining these two. The muffins are perfectly sweet, tender and moist with lovely chunks of chocolate and cherries. I topped some of my muffins with a light and fresh cream cheese frosting and whole cherries. But they’re just as good without the frosting. These cherry chocolate muffins are great to serve both for breakfast, as they are both gluten and sugar free made with only a little bit of coconut oil, but also delicious enough to have as a sweet treat or dessert.
A few tips:
- Use darker cherries if you can to make sure they aren’t too sour. You want them sweet, juicy and slightly tart.
- I would recommend you to use dark chocolate chips.
- Cut the cherries into smaller pieces, but not too small. You want to feel the cherries in the muffins, but still not end up getting a too big pieces when taking a bite.
- Do not over mix the batter. Mix just until incorporated.
- Try to distribute the cherries and chocolate chips evenly in the batter to make sure you have pieces of both all over the muffin.
- The frosting on top is optional, they are just as good without any frosting.
Ingredients for these Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins:
- Granulated sweetener (sugar free)
- Apple sauce
- Greek yogurt
- Coconut oil
- Oat flour
- Corn flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Chocolate chips (sugar free)
- Cream cheese
- Lemon juice
Other recipes you might like:
- Cherry Almond Cake (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Raspberry & Nectarine Mini Cake (Vegan, Gluten, Oil, Nut & Sugar Free)
- Yogurt Parfait with Cherries & Chocolate Waffles (Vegetarian, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Peach & Almond Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- 1 Egg
- 1 – 1 1/2 dl Granulated sweetener (sugar free)
- 1/2 dl Apple sauce
- 1/2 dl Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp Milk (I used oat milk)
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil melted
- 1 1/2 dl Oat flour
- 1/2 dl Corn flour
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- 1/3 tsp Baking soda
- 1/3 tsp Baking powder
- 1/3 tsp Salt
- 1 dl Cherries pitted cut into smaller pieces
- 1/2 dl Chocolate chips (sugar free)
For the topping (optional)
- 1/2 dl Cream cheese
- 1/4 dl Greek yogurt
- 1/2-1 tbsp Sweetener
- 1/4 tsp Lemon juice
- 5 Cherries
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celsius.
- Combine oat flour, corn flour, cardamom, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk the egg and sugar together until slightly fluffy and the mixture has turned a little pale in a separate bowl.
- Add apple sauce, greek yogurt and coconut oil and whisk until incorporated.
- Little by little add the dry ingredients to the wet, stir in between. Do not stir too long, just until you have a smooth batter.
- Fold in cherry pieces and chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between five muffin tins. Bake in the oven for 18-21 minutes, until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Take out and let the muffins cool completely.
- Whisk together cream cheese, greek yogurt, sweetener and lemon juicy until it becomes fluffy. Place in the fridge until ready to serve. (The topping is optional)
- Top the muffins using a piping tool or just spread it over the muffins using a spoon as I did. Top each muffin with a cherry.