This recipe for Poached Eggs with Yogurt & Tomatoes is both fresh, delicious and easy to make. It only takes 20 minutes to make and is a great dish to make for breakfast, brunch or lunch. It is both gluten and grain free and low carb.
If you’re into savory breakfast, brunch or lunches this recipe is a must try! If you would ask me what my dream breakfast, brunch or lunch would look like it would probably be something like this. I really love eggs, they’re so versatile, easy to prepare and healthy! Poached eggs are one of my favorite ways of preparing eggs. It feels like you’re eating something very fancy and well prepared. And the texture of poached eggs is just divine! You have the set egg white with the creamy egg yolk inside that creates the most wonderful combination. I know many people are afraid of making poached eggs because it sounds and looks quite advanced. But trust me, it’s not. I was very afraid the first time I made it, just because I had heard and read that it was so hard to succeed. But I nailed it on my first attempt. But there are a few tips and trix that makes it easier. Anyways, this dish is divine. You have a bed of fresh tangy greek yogurt, topped with a flavorful tomato sauce and fried sweet tomatoes. Add the eggs with the creamy egg yolk on top and top this dish with crumbled feta cheese and fresh parsley. If you have the time and want to make this dish even a notch better? Then you have to top it with these roasted chickpeas.
A few tips:
- Use fresh eggs! This will make the biggest difference when poaching them. Old eggs where the egg white has become a bit runny will not poach well. The egg white should be fresh and firm.
- Add vinegar to the boiling water, this will make it easier to poach the eggs.
- Preferably use a tomato sauce that already is seasoned, so you just don’t use a plain tomato sauce. I used a tomato sauce with chili in it, because I love to add some heat to this dish.
- Use good quality cherry tomatoes. It makes a huge difference if you use tasty and flavorful cherry tomatoes with good quality compared to the cheap and bland ones.
- Fry the tomatoes on high heat for a few minutes. They should only get warm and a little browned. Then keep them warm on low heat in the pan.
Ingredients for these Poached Eggs with Yogurt & Tomatoes:
- Greek yogurt
- Cherry tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Feta cheese
- Roasted Chickpeas (optional)
Other recipes you might like:
- Sweet Potato Toast with Avocado & Poached Eggs (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Lentil Shakshuka
- Brunch Tacos with Black Beans, Fried Egg & Home Made Salsa (Gluten & Dairy Free)
- Green Shakshuka
Poached Eggs with Yogurt & Tomatoes (Gluten, Grain Free, Low Carb)
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Vinegar (optional, but makes it easier to poach the eggs)
- 6 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 8-10 Cherry tomatoes
- 4 tbsp Tomato sauce (preferably already seasoned)
- 1/4 package Feta cheese crumbled
- Parsley, to garnish
- Roasted chickpeas (optional)
- Add tomato sauce to a small pot and heat on low heat.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the pan and fry for a few minutes, just until they start to soften and get a golden brown surface. Then lower the heat and keep warm.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium sized pot together with the vingear (if using).
- I cook one egg at a time. Start by cracking one egg into a small bowl.
- When the water starts to boil, lower the heat and wait until the water just shimmers.
- Using a whisk or a wooden spoon create a swirl/whirpool in the water.
- Gently slip the egg into the shimmering water. Let it cook for 3-5 minutes, depending on how runny you prefer your eggs.
- Remove the egg with slotted spoon and drain well.
- Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Add plain yogurt on two plates.
- Top with tomato sauce, fried tomatoes, poached eggs, crumbled feta cheese, parsley and roated chickpeas (if using).
- Serve immedately while warm.