This is a delicious, easy and comforting recipe for a lentil shakshuka. It makes the perfect winter brunch or lunch recipe, is filling, nutritious and comforting. The recipe is also very easy to adapt, using vegetables and ingredients you have at home.
Shakshuka is such a great meal to make when making a weekend brunch or lunch. It’s so easy to make, you can vary it endlessly and the best thing is that you can throw in whatever you have at home. It’s also the perfect meal to make when you need to clean out your fridge and have a lot of leftovers that you need to use somehow.
I wanted to make a shakshuka that is a little more winter inspired, but only using staple ingredients that you probably already have at home. And if you dont, they are really easy to swap for the things you do find at home. So I decided to make a lentil shakshuka. By making lentils the base this shakshuka feels more comforting and filling than a regular tomato based. The recipe only includes a few ingredients and spices, and all of them can be swapped according to preferences and availability. You can for example use chickpeas instead of lentils, tomatoes instead of bell pepper, red or spring onion instead of yellow onion… and just season it with the spices you have at home. And if you want to make it vegan the eggs can just be omitted or swapped for some silk or firm tofu or an avocado.
Ingredients for this Lentil Shakshuka:
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Fresh red chili
- Red bell pepper
- Crushed tomatoes
- Red lentils
- Ground cumin
- Paprika powder
- Ground cilantro
Other recipes you might like:
- Brunch Tacos with Black Beans, Fried Egg & Home Made Salsa (Gluten & Dairy Free)
- Green Shakshuka
- Asparagus & Feta Cheese Omelette
- Easy Sweet Potato Hash with Black Kale & Bell Pepper
- Beetroot & Kidney Bean Burger (Vegan, Gluten & Oil Free)
- A drizzle of Olive oil
- 1 Yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1/2-1 Fresh red chili minced
- 2 Red bell peppers diced
- 1 Carrot grated
- 1 can Crushed tomatoes
- 1 can Red lentils drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground cilantro (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat a pan over medium heat.
- Saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes, until it starts to soften and get golden brown.
- Add in the diced bell pepper, grated carrot, red chili, ground cumin, paprika powder, ground cilantro (if using) and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the lentils and stir to combine everything.
- Add the can of crushed tomatos and combine until everything is incorporated.
- Taste to see if salt and pepper is needed and season according to taste.
- Make two nestst for the eggs using a spoon.
- Add the eggs carefully to the nests so they dont break. Cover with a lid and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the eggs are done.