This recipe is for a delicious, flavorful and fresh Zucchini & Ricotta Frittata. This zucchini and ricotta frittata is easy to make, only requires a few ingredients and 20 minutes of your time. It is perfect to make for brunch or lunch or to make for meal prep purpose. It is both vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
Im a true egg dish addict.. ok maybe a bit exaggerated but I really do love eggs and egg dishes. They are both easy to make, nutritious, delicious and not to mention very wallet friendly. Frittata is one of my favorite egg dishes to make. Frittata originates from Italy and means “fried”. From the beginning it meant any egg dish that was made in a skillet, but now it has become the name of an open omelette that is cooked on a slow pace. There is also an expression “hai fatto una frittata” which means “you have quite a mess” that explains the naming of this dish. A frittata is often made with leftover food that you throw into the pan together with an egg mixture. The difference between an omelette and frittata is that an omelette is cooked on quite high heat for a short period of time, while a frittata is often mixed with the ingredients you want to add in and cooked on lower heat or even put in the oven for a while. This frittata is made with zucchini, fresh herbs, ricotta and cheese. It is a very fresh, delicious and flavorful dish that requires a little effort from your end but turns out amazing. It is perfect to serve for brunch, lunch, afternoon snack or to make for meal prep purpose. It is both vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
A few tips:
- If possible use free eggs.
- Squeeze out as much excess water from the zucchini as possible to prevent the frittata from becoming watery and tasteless.
- You can add in any herbs you like or prefer. I used mint, cilantro and parsley.
- I love adding ricotta to the batter, it makes it creamier and provides a lovely texture. But it can be omitted if you want or don’t have any at home.
- Fry the eggs for 3-4 minutes, just until they start to set a little and then bake them in the oven. At least that is how I prefer my frittata. Baking it in the oven makes it less dry and let them set on lower heat than on the stove. But you can also just use the stove if you don’t have an oven or don’t want to use it. But make sure not to over fry the frittata. The eggs should just set but not get over baked or dry.
- I love to top this frittata with more ricotta and fresh herbs, but you can also eat it plain or top it with whatever you like and prefer.
- This frittata is good to store in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Ingredients for this Zucchini & Ricotta Frittata:
- Fresh herbs
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Asparagus Frittata with Pesto & Burrata (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Asparagus & Feta Cheese Omelette
- Brunch Tacos with Black Beans, Fried Eggs & Home Made Salsa (Gluten & Dairy Free)
- Poached Eggs with Yogurt & Tomatoes (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Souffle Omelette with Mushrooms (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
Zucchini & Ricotta Frittata (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
For the frittata
- 2 tbsp Leek thinly sliced
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- 1/2 Zucchini grated
- 2 tbsp Mixed fresh herbs (I useed mint, cilantro and parsley) roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 3 Eggs whisked
- 1 tbsp Milk (I used almond milk)
- 1-2 tbsp Ricotta
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tbsp Grated cheese (I used pecorino)
- Olive oil, to fry
For the topping
- 3-4 tbsp Ricotta
- Fresh herbs
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celcius.
- Preheat an oven safe pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- Fry the leek and garlic until soft and a little browned.
- Grate the zucchini and squeeze out excess water (as much as you can).
- Add to the pan and fry until a bit softened and browned.
- Add fresh herbs and lemon juice and combine.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, ricotta, salt and black pepper in a bowl and add to the pan. Fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the grated cheese on top and put in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes (just until the eggs are set).
- Top with more ricotta and fresh herbs and serve warm.