This is a recipe for a savory Västerbotten Cheese Pannacotta. This recipe only requires a few key ingredients and 10 minutes of your time. This pannacotta is perfect to serve as an appetizer in small glasses or to serve as starters in a little bigger bowls or glasses. This recipe is both gluten free and low carb.
Why narrow the use of some dishes by just using them for their “original” purpose? When you can broaden you perfective and switch things around! I love making dessert ideas for appetizers and appetizers for dessert. First of all you get to eat the dishes you like in different ways and for different purposes. Second of all, it’s such a fun way of reinventing dishes and making a dinner something special. Everyones knows pannacotta for dessert. But it is such a great and delicious dish to make as a savory appetizer or starter as well. This pannacotta is made with a Västesrbotten cheese, which is a very flavorful and aromatic aged cheese Swedish cheese. It is then topped with red onion, red caviar and chives which also is a very classic Swedish topping that we use on several dishes. So if you’re intrigued to try a savory pannacotta that has a Swedish twist to it this recipe is a must. This Västerbotten pannacotta is perfect to serve as a small appetizer in a small shot glass (or any small glass) or in a larger glass or bowl as a starter. It is both gluten free and low carb.
A few tips:
- This recipe is for two larger servings perfect to serve as starters, or for 6-8 smaller once that can be served as appetizers.
- If you can’t find Västerbottenost or want to use a similar cheese you can use parmesan cheese. Parmesan is a little less bitter than Västerbotten cheese but is a good substitute.
- You can also just make this pannacotta with your favorite cheese. I love making it with Gruyère or goat cheese.
- Make sure to store the pannacotta in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours, but preferably over night.
- Bring it out of the fridge about 10 minutes before serving.
- Don’t prepare the topping just until ready to serve.
Ingredients for this Västerbotten Cheese Pannacotta:
- Skimmed cream (or regular one)
- Gelatine leaf
- White or black pepper
- Red onion
- Red caviar
Other recipes you might like:
- White Asparagus with Shrimps
- Skagenröra & Seed Cracker Bites (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Swedish Tapas (Gluten & Oil Free)
- Salmon Sashimi Popsicles with Avocado Cream
- Blini with Creme Fraiche, Fish Roe & Salmon (Gluten Free)
- Scallop Bites with Caviar & Shrimps (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
Västerbotten Cheese Pannacotta (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
For the pannacotta
- 2 1/2 dl Skimmed cream (I used 4% you can use any you like)
- 2 1/2-3 dl Västerbottenost (or any flavorful cheese that you like)
- 1 Gelatine leave
- White or black pepper, to taste
- Salt to taste
For the topping
- 1 small Red onion finely chopped
- Chives, to taste finely chopped
- Red caviar, to taste
- Add cream to a small pot and warm on low heat.
- When the cream is warm add the cheese stirring regularly to make sure it melts.
- Taste to check the taste and season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Soak the gelatine leaf in cold water. When soft dqueeze to remove excess water.
- Turn off the heat and add the wet gelatine leaf to the pannacotta batter. Stir until the gelatine leaf has dissolved.
- Pour in two bigger bowls or glasses or into 6-8 smaller once if makeing them as appetizers.
- Place in the fridge for at least two hours until the pannacotta has set.
- When ready to serve chop the red onion and chives.
- Add red onion, chives and caviar on top according to taste.