This recipes is for a delicious, easy yet flavorful Swedish Shrimp Toast. This toast only requires a few key ingredients and is ready to serve in only 10 minutes. Serve this toast for lunch, brunch or as a starter.
We sure do love our shrimps toast in Sweden! There are kind of two versions of it. One using Skagenröra and topping it with fish roe and dill or making it with shrimps and mayonnaise. This is a Swedish shrimp toast made healthier but still tasting delicious. I you love shrimps you will love this shrimp toast!It is warm, crunchy, fresh and creamy at the same time. I love the mix of fresh (gluten free) bread, crunchy vegetables, delicate shrimps, boiled egg, creamy dressing and salty fish roe. It’s such a wonderful combination that just melts in your mouth. This dressing is made using Creme Fraiche and dijon mustard (you can add some mayonnaise if you like to but its really delicious without), that makes it creamy and flavorful but still keeps it light and healthier than making a mayonnaise based dressing. This shrimp toast is perfect to serve for lunch, brunch or as a starter.
A few tips:
- Use good quality shrimps. Preferably the once you peel yourself. Don’t don’t don’t buy the small peeled once. Then you might as well just not make this toast. The shrimps are E V E R Y T H I N G!
- I made the dressing using reduced fat Creme Fraiche to keep it light and fresh. But you can use regular one as well.
- I did not use any mayonnaise when making the dressing, but if you prefer mayonnaise in yours you can add about some according to taste.
- Boil the eggs according to how well done you prefer them.
- If you can’t find radishes at the store you can replace them by any other crunchy vegetable, like cucumber or fennel
Ingredients for this Swedish Shrimp Toast:
- (Gluten Free) Bread
- Creme Fraiche
- Dijon mustard
- Mayonnaise (optional, I did not use it)
- Lemon juice
- Red onion
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Fish roe
Other recipes you might like:
- Skagenröra Seed Cracker Bites
- White Asparagus with Shrimps
- Stuffed Easter eggs (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Blini with Creme Fraiche, Fish Roe & Salmon (Gluten Free)
- Swedish Tapas (Gluten & Oil Free)
Swedish Shrimp Toast
- 2 slices (Gluten Free) Bread
- 2 Lettuce leafs
- 4 Radishes thinly sliced
- 200 g Shrimps (weight after peeling)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 dl Creme Fraiche
- 1-2 tsp Dijon mustard (depending on how spicy you prefer it)
- Mayonnaise, to taste (optional, I did not use it)
- 1-2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1+1 tbsp Chives finely chopped
- 1/2 small Red onion finely chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 3-4 tbsp Fish roe
- Boil the eggs for 9-11 minutes depending on how hard boiled you prefer them.
- When the eggs are ready preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- Fry the bread for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crunchy.
- Meanwhile peel the shrimps and set aside.
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl (saving one tablespoon of the chives for later).
- Peel the eggs and cut in two.
- When the bread is ready arrange the toast by putting lettuce at the bottom, followed by the sliced radishes.
- Divide the shrimps between the two toast, top with dressing, fish roe, egg and sprinkle more chives on top.
- Serve while the bread is warm.