This recipe is for a delicious, crispy and easy Swedish inspired Swedish Open Face Seed Cracker Sandwich with Shrimps & Egg. This open faced sandwich is made with just a few ingredients and ready to serve in 15 minutes. Make it for breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon snack or serve it as a starter. This sandwich is both gluten, grain, nut free and low carb.
One of our most classic dishes in Sweden is an open shrimp sandwich with eggs, butter, mayonnaise, vegetables and lemon. A shrimp sandwich is something we don’t eat everyday, but rather on more special occasions or when we want to treat ourselves wit something extra delicious. The shrimp sandwich actually originates from Danish “Smørrebrød” and came to Sweden through the Danish cruises where they were served. It quickly became popular in Sweden and soon it could be found at Swedish cafés. The difference between the Danish and Swedish shrimp sandwich is that we use white bread in Sweden while Danes use dark rye bread. So back to this shrimp sandwich! As you saw, a classic shrimp sandwich is made with a few other ingredients than my less classic one. This sandwich is made using seed crackers, which add a nice crunch and flavor to the sandwich. To make it less heavy the butter it omitted (you can add it if you like) and less mayonnaise is used compared to a traditional one. To pimp it up a bit I chose to use fresh spinach, crunchy cucumber, shaved crispt fennel and some chives to top it with. This shrimp sandwich is great to make both for breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon snack or to serve it as a starter. If you want to try something Swedish, yet made with a twist this is it!
A few tip:
- I used gluten and grain free seed crackers for this sandwich. You can use any seed cracker, regular crackers or also make it with soft bread if preferred.
- Make sure to use crunchy fresh cucumber and fennel. You don’t want them to be soggy, dry or bland.
- I love putting the fennel in ice cold water after shaving it for a few minutes. The ice cold water keeps it crispy and fresh since it otherwise looses its crispiness quite quickly.
- Cook the eggs according to your preferences. Some like them well done, some like them more runny. Do as you like.
- The amount of mayonnaise can be adjusted according to taste. I like to use just a little bit to keep the sandwich fresh and not too heavy or overwhelming.
- I would recommend you to eat this sandwich while the eggs are warm. It is not required but I just think it makes a lovely combo to the crunchy bread and vegetables and the fresh cold shrimps.
Ingredients for this Swedish Open Face Seed Cracker Sandwich with Shrimps & Egg:
- Seed crackers
- Fresh spinach
Other recipes you might like:
- Swedish Shrimp Toast (Gluten Free)
- Swedish Tapas (Gluten & Oil Free)
- Shrimp Salad (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Skagenröra On Seed Cracker Bites (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- White Asparagus with Shrimps (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Spicy Shrimp Salad (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Cod & Shrimp Ceviche with Grapefruit (Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
- Sandwich Two Ways – Salmon & Tuna Salad (Gluten Free)
- Avocado Mousse with Shrimps & Fish Roe (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Swedish Midsummer Potato & Pickled Herring Wreath (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Hot Smoked Salmon Salad (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Zucchini Omelette with Smoked Salmon (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
Swedish Open Face Seed Cracker Sandwich with Shrimps & Egg (Gluten, Grain, Nut Free & Low Carb)
- 2 Seed crackers
- A few leaves of Fresh spinach
- 4-6 slices Cucumber
- 2 Eggs
- 20-25 Shrimps (depending on their size and how many you prefer) peeled and rinsed
- Fennel, to taste thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1-3 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp Chives finely chopped
- Boil the eggs for 5-9 minutes depending on how you prefer them. I prefer them. When done fill the pot with cold water and let the eggs cool down in for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile shave the fennel and place in a small bowl with ice cold water. This will keep it crispy.
- Peel and rinse the shrimps.
- Assembly the sandwich by placing a few spinach leaves on each seed cracker followed by slices of cucumber.
- Peel and slice the eggs and put on the sandwich.
- Top with shrimps, shaved fennel, mayonnaise and chives. Serve while the eggs are warm (optional but recommended).