This is a very easy, fresh and super tasty Cod & Shrimp Ceviche with Grapefruit. This ceviche is so easy and quick to make, only requires a few key ingredients and 10 minutes of your time. This ceviche is perfect to serve as a starter, main course or to include in a sharing dinner. It is both gluten, grain, dairy free and low carb.
Iim guessing when someone says fish… ceviche maybe isn’t the first thing that comes to your mind? And when someone says ceviche you might get a little hesitant thinking raw fish.. is that really a good idea, and isn’t it difficult to handle and prepare raw fish. My answer is yes, it is in fact a great idea, and no, it’s not difficult to prepare! Quite the opposite. If you buy a fresh and good quality fish a ceviche can be the most delicious thing you ever eat. It is fresh, tender, but with a lovely chewing resistance at the same time. And it is everything but boring and bland if you accompany the fish with different seasonings, fresh ingredients and textures. This ceviche is made using cod as the base which gives this dish a fresh, light and tender taste and texture. It is marinated in grapefruit and lime juice, chili, ginger, sesame oil and cilantro that makes it both very flavorful, a bit spicy, but still fresh, a bit bitter but still citrusy from the grape and lime. It is then served with pieces of grapefruit, fresh and crunchy cucumber, shaved fennel and topped with shrimps. This cod and shrimp ceviche is a must try if you like fish and seafood and want a dish that is both fresh and light but flavorful and a bit spicy at the same time. Serve this ceviche as a starter, main course or include it in a sharing dinner. It is both gluten, grain, dairy free and low carb.
A few tips:
- I know a lot of people are a bit reluctant to eating grapefruit, since they can be really bitter and sour. But they really don’t have to be if you find the right once. This tip is not a scientifical tip, but I’ve had so many grapefruits in my life (I used to eat at least one every single day for 5-6 years). And when I buy grapefruits I always buy the once that are a little soft and where the skin almost have started to get a little wrinkly. Or buy “fresh” once and then let them just lie around until they get soft, wrinkly and you almost think they’re turning bad. Thats when they are really sweet and juicy. At least that’s what I do when I want a sweet grapefruit.
- Buy a good quality cod fillet. Don’t buy the cheaper thin once that look like leftovers. It really really make the biggest difference.
- The same goes for the shrimps. But unpeeled once (if you have the possibility) and don’t buy the small and cheaper once. You only need 10-15. shrimps, so it won’t cost that much more.
- Path dry the cod well before cutting it into dices.
- Don’t throw the excess marinade away, pour it over the dish when ready to serve.
- You can adjust the amount of chili and ginger according to taste.
- The cod should marinate for at least 10 minutes, but preferably for 1-2 hours.
Ingredients for this Cod & Shrimp Ceviche with Grapefruit:
- Sesame oil
- Red chili
- Fresh ginger
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Cod fillet
- Sesame seeds
Other recipes you might like:
- Scallop Carpaccio with Avocado Cream & Fish Roe (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Salad Niçoise with Tuna Steak (Gluten & Dairy Free)
- Avocado Mousse with Shrimp & Fish Roe (Low Carb)
- Summer Fruit & Scallop Ceviche (Gluten, Grain, Oil Free & Low Carb)
- Melon & Scampi Salad (Gluten, Grain, Dairy, Oil Free & Low Carb)
- Spicy Shrimp Salad (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Asian Style Tuna Steak (Paleo, Keto & Low Carb)
- Salmon Sashimi Popsicles with Avocado Cream (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Scallops Italian Style (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Spicy Scallops with Brussels sprouts & Shiitake (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
Cod & Shrimp Ceviche with Grapefruit (Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
- 1/2 Grapefruit separated and cut into smaller pieces
- 1/2 Grapefruit juiced
- 1 tsp Lime juice
- 1/2 Lime zested
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1/2 Red chili
- 1-2 tbsp Fresh ginger grated
- 1-2 Cilantro stalks + more to garnish finely chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/5 Cucumber peeled, cored and cut into half moons
- 2 Cod fillet cut into dices
- 10-15 Shrimps peeled and rinsed
- 1/4 small Fennel shaved
- Sesame seeds, to top
- Combine grapefruit juice, lime juice, lime zest, sesame oil, red chili, grated ginger and finely chopped cilantro in a bowl. Season with sea salt and black pepper according to taste.
- Cut the cod into equally sized cubes and add to the grapefruit marinade. Place in the fridge and let it rest for at least 10 minutes, but preferably longer.
- When ready to serve cut the cucumber, separate the grapefruit, shave the fennel and peel the shrimps.
- Combine the cod with cucumber, grapefruit and half of the fennel.
- Divide between two bowls (save the leftover liquid from the marinate) and top with the remaining fennel and add the shrimps on top. Pour the leftover marinade over the ceviche and then top with sesame seeds and cilantro.