This recipe is for a fresh, delicious and Greek/Mediterranean inspired dish. This dish is easy to make, has a lot of taste, different flavors and textures. Make it when you’re having a BBQ, part of a buffet or for a nice and fresh weekend dinner. This dish is also good for meal prep purpose. It is gluten free and very healthy.
Nothing says spring and summer as skewers does! Don’t you agree? And I also just love food on a stick. It’s something about eating food from a wooden stick. It feels so basic and rustic in a way. And the best part is that you really can put anything on a skewer and the dish right away feels more fun and tempting, at least if you ask me! These lemon and yogurt marinated chicken skewers are tender, fresh yet so flavorful! They are good to make both on the grill or in a grill pan and then in the oven. They are served with a fresh and zesty hummus, grilled vegetables, fresh herbs and some slivered almonds and yogurt on the side. This is really the perfect spring and summer dish… but I actually make it during winter as well (especially when Im longing for these summer days!) This dish is perfect to make when you’re having a BBQ, include it in a buffet, for a nice weekend dinner or for meal prep purpose. It really is an all around dish that both is taste yet easy to make.
A few tips:
- Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes before grilling/baking it
- I like to grill it in a grill pan first and then bake it on low temperature (150 degrees Celsius) in the oven. That makes the chicken too tender and also make it hard to over cook it. But you can also just do it in a grill pan or of course on the grill.
- Tahini is optional in the hummus, but highly recommended. It provides such a nice addition to the hummus.
- This dish is good to store in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Ingredients for these Lemon & Yogurt Marinated Chicken Skewers with Hummus:
- Chicken breast
- Greek yogurt
- Sea salt
- Paprika powder
- Slivered almonds
Other recipes you might like:
- Spiced Chicken with Plums
- Chicken Skewers with Watermelon & Feta Cheese
- Chicken & Peach & Heirloom Tomatoes From The Grill
- Spicy Chicken Tacos (Gluten Free)
Lemon & Yogurt Marinated Chicken Skewers with Hummus (Gluten Free)
For the chicken skewers
- 500 g Chicken breast diced into equally sized pieces
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 Lemon, zest
- 1 Lemon, juice
- 2-3 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp Cumin (optional)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
For the hummus
- 2 cans Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 Lemon, zest
- 1/2 Lemon, juice
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Paprika powder
- 1 tbsp Tahini (optional, but recommended)
For the vegetables
- 1 Zuchini sliced
- 1 Aubergine sliced
- 1/2 Cucumber thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt
- Mint, to taste
- Cilantro, to taste
- Slivered almonds, to taste
For the chicken
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl.
- Cut the chicken into equally sized squares.
- Put the chicken in the marinade and make sure all parts of the chicken are covered.
- Let it marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Soak skewers in water so that they don't burn when baking/grilling.
- When time to cook the chicken, remove excess marinade and put the chicken on skewers.
- Heat some olive oil in a grill oan over medium/high heat.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celcius.
- Grtill the chicken in the pan on each side until grillsmarks form. Keep the grill pan warm but lower the heat.
- Put the chicken skewers in an oven safe dish and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is done. Dont bake for too long. The chicken should just be done. (Baking it on lower temperature such as 150 degrees makes it easier not to over cook it and also makes the chicken more tender and mouth melting instead of dry.
- You can also grill the chicken on the grill.
- Meanwhile the chicken is in the oven, put the grill pan over medium/high heat again. Add some olive oil and grill the zucchini and aubergine for a few minutes on each side.
- Place all the ingredients for the hummus in a bowl and mix using a hand mixer until smooth. Taste to check if more seasoning is needed.
- When the chicken is done, place hummus on four plates. Top with skewers, grilled vegetables, sliced cucumber, greek yogurt, mint, cilantro and slivered almonds.