Need a delicious, light and easy snack or dessert? These Blueberry & Poppy Seed Muffins will have you covered. They are made with simple and easy ingredients that you most likely already have at home and only take 10 minute to prepare and are ready to serve within 30 minutes. Since they are both gluten and sugar free and low in fat they’re healthy enough to have for breakfast or afternoon snack but also delicious enough to make for dessert.
Blueberries and poppy seeds is a wonderful combination if you ask me! The creamy, soft and sweet blueberries combine so well with the slightly nutty and crunchy texture of poppy seeds. So I just had to take this lovely combo and turn it into the most tender and delicious blueberry and poppy seeds muffins. These muffins are so tender, moist and delicious, but also healthy, light and not at all overwhelming at the same time. The secret is that they’re made both gluten and sugar free with just one tablespoon of coconut oil. The rest of the moist and juiciness comes from yogurt/quark and apple sauce which also make the muffins feel fresh, light and add a wonderful delicate sweetness to them. They are made with xylitol to make them sugar free, and the amount of sweetener can be adapted according to how sweet you prefer them. These blueberry and poppy seed muffins are really quick and easy to bake. You can make a big batch and serve them both for breakfast, afternoon snack or dessert.
A few tips:
- Use an unsweetened apple sauce (I usually do my own), but that still is naturally sweet from the apples. So if making your own apple sauce, make sure to use juicy and sweet apples and not the tart or sour once.
- If you want to make these muffins dairy free you can easily swap the yogurt/quark for a dairy free option.
- You can make these muffins either in a bowl using a hand mixer or whisk or use a food blender.
- I prefer to use fresh blueberries since they don’t color the batter as mush as frozen ones do. But other than that you can easily swap the fresh blueberries for frozen ones.
- Do not over blend the batter. You should just whisk/mix just until combined and then gently fold in the blueberries.
- Let the muffins cool completely before eating them.
Ingredients for these Blueberry & Poppy Seed Muffins:
- Coconut oil
- Stevia vanilla drops
- Greek yogurt or quark
- Apple sauce
- Oat flour
- Rice flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Poppy seeds
Other recipes you might like:
- Almond & Poppy Seed Cake with Plums (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Pear & Pecan Muffins (Vegan, Gluten, Sugar Free, Naturally Sweetened with Fruits)
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Swedish Semla Muffins (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Merengue Cupcakes (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Blueberry Skillet Crumble Pie (Gluten, Sugar, Dairy & Oil Free)
- Peach & Raspberry Mini Pies with Yogurt Filling (Gluten, Grain, Oil, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Blue & Blackberry Cheesecake Chocolate Bars (Gluten, Sugar Free & Less Fat)
- Zucchini Banana Muffins (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Balsamic Roasted Strawberries & Cream Cheese Frosting (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
Blueberry & Poppy Seed Muffins (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- 1 Egg
- 2-2 1/2 dl Xylitol
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil melted and slightly cooled
- 5-6 drops Stevia vanilla drops
- 1 dl Greek yogurt or quark
- 1/2 dl Apple sauce
- 2 dl Plant based milk (or regular if preferred)
- 4 dl Oat flour
- 1 dl Rice flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 3/4 tsp Baking soda
- A pinch of Salt
- 1/2 dl Poppy seeds
- 1 1/2-2 dl Blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Line a baking pan or prepare muffin tins.
- Add egg, xylitol, stevia drops and coconut oil to a blender or bowl and mix/whish until smooth and a little fluffy.
- Add apple sauce, yogurt/quark and milk and mix/whish again.
- Combine oat flour, rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds in a separate bowl. Stir into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Fold in the blueberries gently.
- Divide the batter between the muffin tins and bake for 17-20 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and let them cool before serving.