This is a recipe for a rich, decadent and fudgy chocolate cupcake with merengue. The cupcake is tender, sweet enough but not too sweet (can be adapted) and rich. The merengue is sweet, fluffy and makes such a nice addition to the cupcakes. These Chocolate Merengue Cupcakes are both vegan, gluten and sugar free.
What do you bake when you want something extra delicious, rich and decadent and when you want it to look like you gave it an extra effort? I make something that includes both chocolate and merengue. Just because chocolate is always associated with luxury, something special, and it’s always the thing you give away when you want to give a delicious and thoughtful gift. Merengue… merengue I could write a whole blog post about. I don’t make it very often, and especially not vegan.. just because I see it as something you only make for those special occasions. Even though all of this sound very luxurious and complicated… it’s not. Im not an advanced baker, and I like ti keep it easy and simple. And that’s just what these chocolate merengue cupcakes are! Quick, easy and simple to make, even though they might look like you spent the whole afternoon making them. Arn’t those recipes the best? Anyways, these chocolate merengue cupcakes are perfect to make for Valentines day, for a birthday or just when you want to make something that looks like you’ve given your everything. These cupcakes are rich, decadent and fudgy with a fluffy and delightful merengue on top!
A few tips:
- Don’t run the batter for too long. Neither when you mix the wet ingredients or when you mix in the wet.
- You can add in chocolate chips to the batter to make them even more chocolaty and decadent.
- Let the cupcakes cool while you prepare the merengue.
- If you want to make different colors of the merengue, start by adding the white one to the cupcakes…and then adding food coloring in two steps to make it pink and then red.
- Store the cupcakes in the fridge to make sure the merengue doesn’t melt.
- These chocolate cupcakes are divine and addictive on it’s own, without the merengue.
Ingredients for these Chocolate Merengue Cupcakes:
- Apple sauce
- Plant based milk
- Coconut oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Oat flour
- Cacao powder
- Stevia granular sugar
- Baking soda
- Merengue powder
- Red food coloring
- Aquafaba from chickpeas
- Cream of tart
Other recipe you might like:
- Swedish Semla Muffins (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Covered Funfetti Popsicles (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Lava Cake (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Red wine Chocolate Truffles (Vegan & Sugar Free)
Chocolate Merengue Cupcakes (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- 1/2 dl Apple sauce
- 1 1/2 dl Plant based milk (I used almond)
- 1 tsp Coconut oil melted and a bit cooled
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 2 dl Oat flour
- 3/4 dl Cacao powder
- 1/2-3/4 dl Stevia granular sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
For the merengue
- 1/4 dl Merengue powder
- 1/4 dl Water
- 1/4 package Aquafaba
- 1/4 tsp Cream of tart
- 2 tsp Stevia granular sugar
- 1/8-1/4 tsp Red food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Add apple sauce, milk, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar to a blender and mix until smooth.
- Comine rest of the ingredients for the cupcakes in a bowl.
- Add to the wet ingredients in the blender and mix just until smooth.
- Fill up 7/8 part of the muffin tins (will make 5-6 muffins depending on the size of the tins) and bake in the middle of the oven for 14-18 minutes.
- Take out and let cool.
For the merengue
- I made both white, pink and red merengue. But I only used one batter. Follow instructions below.
- Add merengue powder and water, or awuafaba, cream of tart and sugar to a high mixing bowl. Mix using a electric hand mixer until stiff peaks start to form. (Take 10-15 minutes).
- Using a piping tip (or just a spoon) add merengue on top of each cupcake.
- When you're done with the white merengue add about 1/8 of a teaspoon (it can vary depending on which food coloring you're using). This will make the merengue pink.
- Top the amount of cupcakes you want to have in pink using a piping tip.
- Add another 1/8 of a teaspoon of food coloring for making red meregnue.
- Top the cupcakes that you want to have with red merengue.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge until 30 minutes before it's time to serve.