This recipe is for a Cajun Spiced Chicken with Rhubarb & Peach Salsa. This dish only requires a few key ingredients and 15 minutes of your time. It is perfect to serve either for a delicious weekday meal, for a cozy weekend dinner or to make in a bigger batch and include in a buffet or when serving a larger amount of people. It is both gluten and grain free.
Summer dinners should be quick, easy and delicious at the same time. I want them to be fresh, with lot of different textures and flavors and made with seasonal ingredients. This cajun spiced chicken with rhubarb and peach salsa tick of all of the above! This dish is made with tender chick thighs that are seasoned with cajun pepper and served with a fresh, crunchy, sweet and tart Rhubarb & Peach Salsa. This dish is the perfect mix of heat, sweet, juicy, tender and fresh. The spicy and tender chicken pairs so well with the tart and sweet rhubarb salsa. I also added some baked sweet potatoes to make the dish more filling and the sweet potatoes also bring such a lovely and creamy texture to the dish. This dish is perfect to serve both for a weekday meal, weekend dinner or to make when you have a bigger amount of people over for dinner. This dish is really easy to make, the rhubarb and peach salsa can with benefit be prepared in advance and then you just need to bake the sweet potatoes and make the chicken. This dish is both gluten and grain free.
A few tips:
- I used this Rhubarb & Peach Salsa.
- The salsa can be prepared in advance. I would actually recommend you to prepare it in advance since it get better after having some time to soak and absorb all the flavors.
- I used chicken thighs for this recipe. But you can use chicken bread as well, but then the cook time will be a bit longer.
- You can adjust the amount of cajun pepper depending on preferences.
- I like to fry my chicken on high heat in the pan to begin with and then put it in the oven for a few minutes for it to get tender and reach the right temperature.
- This dish is good to store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Ingredients for this Cajun Spiced Chicken with Rhubarb & Peach Salsa:
- Chicken thighs
- Cajun Pepper
- Rhubarb & Peach Salsa
- Sweet potato
Other recipes you might like:
- Chicken Skewers with Watermelon & Feta Cheese
- Spiced Chicken with Plums
- Spicy Chicken Tacos (Gluten Free)
- Lemon & Yogurt Marinated Chicken Skewers with Hummus (Gluten Free)
- Chicken with Grilled Heirloom Tomatoes & Peach (Gluten, Dairy, Grain Free & Low Carb)
Cajun Spiced Chicken with Rhubarb & Peach Salsa (Gluten & Grain Free)
- 4-6 Chicken thighs (I used skin and boneless)
- 1-2 tbsp Cajun pepper
- 1 1/2-2 dl Rhubarb and Peach Salsa (according to recipe linked above)
- 1 big Sweet potato sliced or cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- Slice the sweet potato and put in on a parchment covered baking sheet and place it in the oven. Bake for 12-18 minutes depending on how thick your slices are.
- Meanwhile preheat a nonstick pan with some olive oil.
- Cover the chicken thighs in cajun pepper according to taste.
- When the pan is hot add the chicken thighs and let them fry for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile prepare the salsa (unless prepared before) according to linked recipe above. It only takes five minutes to make.
- When the chicken tighs are golden brown on each side place in a baking sheet.
- Lower the temperature to 150 degrres Celcius and bake in the oven for 3-5 minutes, until the inner temperature reaches 74 degrees Celcius.
- Take out the baked sweet potatoes and chicken tighs from the oven.
- Place on two plates and add rhubarb and peach salsa on the side.