This is a delicious recipe for spicy vegan meatballs. These meatballs are made with vegan minced beef, garlic and harissa. They’re served with a fresh vegan herb yogurt dressing. These meatballs are perfect to serve either as a sharing dish when making lot of small dishes or as a main course., but also for food prep purposes.
So we Swedes love meatballs.. guess that’s no surprise. I think that’s the one thing we’re most know for – Swedish Meatballs. “Classic” Swedish meatballs are made with meat and served with potatoes or potato mash, a cream based brown sauce along with lingonberries and pickled cucumber. But why I love meatballs so much is because you can make them using any “meat” you like and season them with what you’re in the mood for. These spicy vegan meatballs are inspired by the North African kitchen using harissa, paprika powder, cumin, red onion and garlic to make them flavorful and a bit spicy. To accompany them I made a fresh and creamy vegan yogurt and herb dressing. If you’re into meatballs and spicy flavors this is a recipe you have to try! This dish is perfect to serve either as a sharing dish, a main course or for food prepping purposes.
A few tips:
- Start by baking the garlic cloves in aluminium foil. Then they’ll be ready just in time to prepare the yogurt dressing while the meatballs have a few minutes left.
- Bake the meatballs on high heat and not for too long. You don’t want them to get dry and over baked.
- I used parsley and mint for the yogurt herb sauce. But you can use any herbs you like or have at home.
- These meatballs are good to store in the fridge for up to four days.
- The meatballs can be frozen and reused later.
Ingredients for these Spicy Meatballs with Herb & Yogurt Dressing:
- Vegan mince
- Red onion
- Garlic cloves
- Harissa seasoning
- Paprika powder
- Sea salt
- Vegan yogurt
- Lime juice
- Fresh herbs
Other recipe you might like:
- Open Lentil Moussaka (Vegan & Oil Free)
- Beetroot Kidney Bean Burger (Vegan, Gluten & Oil Free)
- Slicers with a Taste of Swedish Christmas
- Biff à La Lindström
- North African Meatballs on Cauliflower Purée with Chermoula
Spicy Meatballs with Herb Yogurt Sauce (Vegan & Gluten Free)
For the meatballs
- 400 g Vegan mince
- 1/2 Red onion finely chopped
- 1-2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1-2 tsp Harissa seasoning (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- A pinch of Salt
For the yogurt sauce
- 2 dl Vegan yogurt
- 3-4 Garlic cloves
- 2 tsp Lime juice
- 4 tbsp Fresh herbs (I used parsley and mint)
- 1 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Celsius.
- Put garlic cloves in aluminum foil and bake until soft, takes approximately 20 min.
- Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs in a bowl.
- Form 10-14 meatballs (depending on how big you prefer them).
- Add to a baking pan and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes (until they are golden brown).
- When the garlic cloves are soft combine the ingredients for the yogurt sauce in a bowl and mix using a hand mixer.
- Divide the yogurt sauce between plates. Add meatballs on top and garnish with more fresh herbs and paprika powder.