This is a Christmas inspired beef slider with a touch of Sweden. These sliders include beef patties, feta cheese and an easy and delicious beetroot salad. This is a perfect pre-dinner snack or appetizer to serve during Christmas time. Buuuut actually I would eat them any time of year, because they’re soooo delicious. I made these slider versions, but if you prefer to have them as a main course just make bigger patties and you’ll have a lovely and unique hamburger.
Ok, so you might wonder why Im calling these sliders “with a taste of Swedish Christmas”… Well because we have two of the most iconic Swedish dishes included in this little slider; meatballs and beetroot salad. Swedish meatballs I guess most of you have heard of, we eat them all year round. And the beetroot salad is a must during Christmas in (I dare to say) all Swedish households. In Sweden we eat “julbord” (Christmas table) for Christmas that consists of lots of different dishes. You have everything from the classic Swedish meatballs, herring, smoked salmon, eggs, Jansons frestelse (a potato gratin with leek and anchovies) and of course the beetroot salad. Therefore I wanted to create an appetizer that has a Swedish Christmas touch to it. The feta cheese is obviously not Swedish, but I wanted to include something some melted cheese, and regular Swedish cheese just didn’t sound as tempting as melted feta cheese.
Ingredients for these Sliders with a Taste of Swedish Christmas:
- Minced beef
- Yellow onion
- Red onion
- Creme fraiche/yogurt or quark
- Dijon mustard
- Hamburger buns (I used these paleo buns)
- Feta cheese
Other recipes you might like:
Sliders with a Taste of Swedish Christmas
For the beef patties
- 200 g Minced beef
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 small Yellow onion finely chopped
For the beetroot salad
- 3-4 small Beetroots Washed and diced
- 1/2 small Red onion thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp Creme fraiche, yogurt or quark
- 1/2-1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 small Apple (optional) diced
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
For the burger
- 4 small Hamburger buns (I used my Easy Gluten-Free, Paleo Friendly Hamburger Buns)
- 4 Lettuce leafs
- 50 g Feta cheese crumbled
- If you make your own hamburger buns start by baking them.
- Wash the beets (and dice them if you want them to get ready faster) and cooking them until soft.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Combine the ingredients for the beef patties in a bowl and form 4 equally sized patties.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Fry the patties for 2 minutes on each side until they start to get golden brown.
- Transfer the patties to a oven safe dish, add the crumbled feta cheese and bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes more, until they are as done as you prefer them to be.
- Meanwhile peel the cooked beets, and dice them finely.
- Slice the red onion and dice the apple (if using).
- Add beets, red onion and apple to a bowl and combine with creme fraiche, yogurt or quarck. Add the dijon mustard according to tast and season with salt and pepper.
- When the patties are ready, put them on the hamburger buns and top with the beetroot salad. Serve warm!