This is an easy recipe for Christmasy and wintery Mini Chocolate Mulled Wine Cake with Cranberry Jam. This recipe is very easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. Serve these chocolate mulled wine mini cakes for dessert, when having a Christmas mingle or include them in a buffet. They are both vegan, gluten and refined sugar free.
Gingerbread and saffron are the flavors that are strongly associated with Christmas and winter, at least in Sweden. But I like to mix things up sometimes! And to be honest, who doesn’t like a good chocolate dessert? So I made these super delicious, flavorful and easy chocolate mulled wine mini cakes filled with cranberry jam filling and topped with chocolate. These mini cakes are so cute and perfect to serve during a Christmas mingle, as small desserts or to include in a buffet. The secret ingredients here being the mulled wine! I added mulled wine both to the chocolate cake batter and cooked the cranberries it in. For the cranberry jam I used this but replaced the water with mulled wine instead. This makes this dessert sweet, christmasy, full of flavor and warming at the same time! The combination of rich and a little bitter chocolate together with the sweet and flavorful mulled wine and the tart and a little sour cranberries is just divine and taste like taking a bite of Christmas. These chocolate mulled wine mini cakes are both vegan, gluten and refined sugar free.
A few tips:
- I used this recipe for the cranberry jam filling, but replaced the water with mulled wine instead.
- Use a mulled wine that you like. But I used one that was refined sugar free and organic.
- If you don’t have or like mulled wine this cake is delicious with regular wine as well. But use a dry and full bodied one.
- If you use red wine instead of mulled wine you might need more sweetener since the mulled wine is quite sweet.
- You can also make this cake using water or plant based milk if you want to make it wine free. But this will affect the taste, so I would recommend you to add some cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and maybe orange to the batter as well to make it feel more christmasy.
- If you don’t use mulled wine/wine then cook the cranberries in water and add sweetener according to taste.
- The cranberry jam/sauce should be quite thick so it sets well between the two cake layers. So make sure to cook it until it is well reduced.
- You can use store bought cranberry jam, but the it won’t have the taste of mulled wine.
- Let the cake and cranberry jam cool completely before assembling the mini cakes.
Ingredients for these Chocolote Mulled Wine Mini Cake with Cranberry Jam:
- Oat flour
- Corn flour
- Cacao powder
- Baking soda
- Stevia granulated sugar
- Apple sauce
- Coconut oil
- Glögg/Mulled wine (or red wine, milk or water)
- Fresh cranberries
- Vegan dark chocolate
- Rosemary (optional)
- Sprinkle (optional)
Other recipes you might like:
- Red Wine Chocolate Truffles (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Lava Cake (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Spiced Sheet Cake (Gluten, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Chocolate Merengue Cupcakes (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Champagne Chocolate truffles (Sugar Free)
- Fudgy Avocado Brownie (Gluten, Grain, Dairy, Sugar, Oil Free & Low Carb)
- Fudgy Black Bean Brownies (Vegan, Gluten, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Zucchini Chocolate Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Covered Brownie Popsicles (Gluten & Sugar Free)
Mini Chocolate Mulled Wine Cake with Cranberry Jam (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
For the chocolate cakes
- 2 dl Oat flour
- 1/2 dl Corn flour
- 1 dl Cacao powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2-2 dl Stevia granulated sugar
- 1/2 dl Apple sauce
- 1/2 dl Coconut oil melted and slightly cooled
- 1 3/4 dl Glögg/mulled wine (or swap for red wine, plant based milk or water)
For the cranberry jam
- 100 g Fresh cranberries
- 1/2 dl Glögg/mulled wine (or swap for red wine or water)
For the topping
- 75 g Vegan dark chocolate
- 1/2 tbsp Coconut oil
- Fresh cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Line a baking pan (18*18 or similar size) with parchment paper.
- Combine oar flour, corn flour, cacao powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and stevia sugar to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add apple sauce, melted coconut oil and glögg/mulled wine to a blender or bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until you have a smooth batter (it will be a little thick).
- Add the batter to the lined baking pan and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Take out and let it cool.
- Meanwhile the cake is baking add cranberries and glögg/mulled wine to a small pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let is shimmer until the sauce/jam has thickened. It should be quite thick so it sits when added to the cake. Let it cool.
- Once cooled using a 5 cm round cookie cutter cut out 16 piecs.
- Place vegan chocolate and coconut oil in a bowl and melt over a water bath.
- Start assembling the mini cakes by adding about 1 tsp of the cranberry sauce/jam on 8 of the 16 cookie pieces. Top the with the rest of the cookies pieces.
- Add melted chocolate on top and garnish with cranberries, thyme and sprinkle (if desired) and place in the fridge for the chocolate to set.
- Take out of the fridge and serve.