This recipe is for a tender, delicious and very easy dish made with Cauliflower Steak with Warm Tomatoes. You only need four main ingredients and a few minutes to prepare it, the rest is taken care of by the oven. Serve this dish as a starter, side dish or main course. It is both vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
Have you ever tried a cauliflower steak? For me it’s the perfect alternative to meat when I want to eat meatless. Ok, sure it doest taste like meat, lets be honest. But it does fillet the same function and also adds that taste of eating something “meaty” due to the texture. Cauliflower steak is a great option to make when you both want to eat meatless, but that feels filling but is light and fresh at the same time. Of course you can make it as greasy and heavy as you like if that’s what you’re after. That’s the great thing! It is so versatile, easy to make and perfect to adjust according to taste and preferences. This version is an easy, light, fresh yet delicious and tasty cauliflower steak topped with warm tomatoes and flavorful pecorino cheese. You only need four main ingredients and five minutes to prepare it, the rest is taken care of by the oven. Serve this cauliflower steak with warm tomatoes and pecorino cheese as a starter, side dish or main course. It is both vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
A few tips:
- Preferably don’t use a too small cauliflower head, it has to be at least medium sized. Otherwise you won’t get more than one steak out of it. You can of course use several small once if you can find any larger once.
- I prefer to keep my cauliflower steak light and fresh, hence only brushing it with a little olive oil. But if you prefer it a bit heavier you can add more.
- Use good quality cherry tomatoes that are juicy and sweet. Don’t go for the bland cheap once. It really makes a big difference to use sweet once.
- Fry the cherry tomatoes just at the end, when the cauliflower steak is about done. They only take 1-2 minutes to prepare.
- Also don’t fry the cherry tomatoes for too long so that they get soggy and all mushy. They should be warm, tender and a little golden brown.
- I used gruyere cheese for my cauliflower steak, but you can use any cheese that you like or have at home. Preferably a cheese with strong flavor.
Ingredients for this Cauliflower Steak with Warm Tomatoes:
- Cauliflower head
- Cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Fresh parsley
Other recipes you might like:
- Baked Sweet Potato Halves with Feta Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Roasted Eggplant/Aubergine with Lentils & Feta Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Roasted Cauliflower Steak with Chanterelles (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Point Cabbage with Scallion Salsa (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Grilled Aubergine & Zucchini with Hazelnut Pesto & Ricotta (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Red Bell Pepper Hummus with Cauliflower Steak & Mediterranean Topping (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
Cauliflower Steak with Warm Tomatoes (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- 1 medium Cauliflower head
- 12-14 Cherry tomatoes (I used mixed tomatoes) Cut in half or quarters
- 2-3 tbsp Gruyere (or any other flavorful cheese that you like or have at home) grated
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Fresh parsley roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Wash the cauliflower head and remove the outer leaves. Slice the head into 1/2-1 cm thick slices (usually makes 2-3 slices). The outer florets will fall off, but you can use them for any other purpose or just bake them along with the cauliflower steaks.
- Place the cauliflower steaks (and florets) on a parchment covered baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, until it starts to get soft and golden brown.
- Take the baking sheet out of the oven and turn the steaks. Brush with some olive oil and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until soft and golden brown.
- When about five minutes remain for the cauliflower steaks are done preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat, with some olive oil if prefered (I did not use it).
- Add the cherry tomatoes and fry quickly until they start to get golden brown and a bit tender. Don't fry for too long so that they get all mushy and soggy.
- Place the cauliflower steaks on one or two plates, top with cherry tomatoes, grated cheese and chopped parsley.
4 thoughts on “Cauliflower Steak with Warm Tomatoes (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)”