This recipe if for a lovely dish made with roasted bell pepper and tomato sauce and point cabbage with an optional addition of white bean cauliflower purée. This dish is really easy to make, only calls for staple ingredients and is easy to adapt according to taste and preference. It is great to serve as a main course, side dish or include in a sharing dinner or buffet. It is vegetarian, gluten and grain free and can easily be made vegan and nut free.
Oven roasted dishes are not only my go to when I want something that is effortless to make, but also tasty and flavorful at the same time. Everything roasted in the oven just taste slightly better than a corresponding dish that is fried or cooked. I don’t know why, maybe because it gets a deeper, more intense and cozy taste and feeling that just preparing it in the pan, but also maybe because it feels like someone else cooked the dinner for you, since they’re effortless to make. This point cabbage served in a rosted bell pepper tomato sauce have a few steps that you need to do yourself, but they’re stil very easy, effortless and quick. Then the rest if taken care of by the oven. What you end up with is a really flavorful, cozy, comforting and tasty dish. Not only is it really easy to make, it’s also very wallet friendly, made with staple ingredients, but also healthy and nutritious at the same time. You can serve it just as is or make an optional white bean cauliflower purée for a more filling dish that is more like a complete dish. It is a mix of roasted, sweet, tangy, creamy, tender and crunchy tastes and texture that will melt in your mouth. It’s perfect to serve as a main course (with or without the white bean cauliflower purée) or side dish or to but also to include it in a sharing dinner or buffet.
A few tips:
- I prefer roasting my own bell peppers, but you can also use store bought roasted bell peppers to use for the sauce.
- I recommend you not to skip roasting the garlic. Roasted garlic compared to raw garlic add a lovely sweet, slightly caramelized and is much milder than raw garlic. The garlic should not have a too distinct and forthcoming flavor in this sauce, it should enhance the flavors from the roasted bell peppers and sweet tomato.
- Use good quality canned tomatoes that are sweet and flavorful. Do not use bland tasteless ones, since it will definitely reflect in the end result.
- Make sure to cut the point cabbage into equally sized wedges to make sure the have the same baking time.
- Fry the point cabbage on medium/high heat for 3-4 minutes without moving or checking on it in the pan to get a nice charred and slightly caramelized surface. It adds a nice taste and texture to the dish.
- Bake in the oven or air fryer, the baking time is about 5-10 minutes quicker in an air fryer so make sure to keep an eye on the dish when it is in the oven.
- Bake the cabbage covered in aluminium foil to start with to make sure it gets soft and tender all way through, then remove and bake without foil for about 15 minutes for the sauce and cabbage to get a nice and roasted surface.
- You can serve this point cabbage in roasted bell pepper tomato sauce just as is or together with a white bean cauliflower purée. It is lovely both ways, but a bit more filling but also interesting and complex with the white bean and cauliflower puree.
Ingredients for this Point Cabbage In Roasted Bell Sauce & White Bean Cauliflower Purée:
- Red bell pepper
- Olive oil
- Canned tomatoes
- Lemon juice
- Black pepper
- Paprika powder
- Chili flakes
- Point cabbage
- White beans
- Creme fraiche
- Sea salt
- Fresh basil
- Pistachio nuts
Other recipes you might like:
- Roasted Cabbage On A Tahini Yogurt Dressing
- Harissa & Honey Roasted Eggplant with Hummus (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Agave Roasted Point Cabbage with Hummus (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Glazed Point Cabbage with Spicy Dressing (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Grill Platter (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Red Bell Pepper Hummus with Cauliflower Steak & Mediterranean Topping (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Grilled Aubergine & Zucchini with Hazelnut Pesto & RIcotta (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Grilled Mini Aubergines with Herb Gremolata (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Cauliflower Steak with Chanterelles (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Eggplant/Aubergine with Lentils & Feta Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Baked Sweet Potato Halves with Feta Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Cauliflower Steak with Warm Tomatoes (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Eggplant with Baked Tomatoes & Tomato Ajvar Sauce (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Halloumi & Sweet Potato Stack (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
Point Cabbage In Roasted Bell Sauce & White Bean Cauliflower Purée (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
For the roasted bell pepper & tomato sauce
- 2 Red bell peppers cored and sliced
- 3-4 Garlic cloves
- A drizzle of Olive oil
- 1 can Tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp Chili flakes (optional)
- 1/2 dl Water (if needed)
For the point cabbage
- 1 Point cabbage cut into wedges
- A drizzle of Olive oil, to fry
For the white bean cauliflower purée (optional)
- 1/2 small Cauliflower head cut into smaller pieces
- 1 can White beans
- 2 tbsp Creme fraiche
- 1/2 tbsp Tahini
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Water, as needed
For the topping
- Fresh basil thinly sliced
- 10-12 Pistachio nuts roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven or air fryer to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Place the bell pepper and garlic on a baking plate, drizzle with some olive oil, stir to combine. Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or air fryer and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the bell pepper starts to turn black and the garlic cloves are soft.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- Cut the point cabbage into wedges (8-10 depending on the size of the cabbage). Add the the warm pan with one of the cut sides down and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown and have a nice fried surface.
- Meanwhile remove the peel from the red bell pepper and garlic, add to a high speed blender. Add rest of the ingredients (except for the water) and mix on high speed until smooth. Check the consistency and flavor. Adjust the seasoning according to taste and add some water if needed Mix again until you have a smooth sauce.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of the bell pepper tomato sauce at the bottom of an oven safe dish. Place the fried point cabbage wedges in the dish. Top with remaining sauce. Roast in the oven at 180 degrees covered with aluminium foil for about 20 minutes or the air fryer for about 15 minutes. Remove the foil, increase the heat to 200 degrees and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring water to a boil in a pot. Add cauliflower florets and let them simmer until soft (take 20-30 minutes). When done, drain well.
- Drain and rinse white beans. Add white beans to the pot with the drained cauliflower together with Creme fraiche, tahini and lemon juice. Mix using a hand mixer until smooth. If the purée is too thick add a little bit of water until it reaches desired consistency, season with salt and black pepper and stir to combine.
- Add back to the stove and keep warm on low heat until the cabbage is done.
- Place white bean cauliflower purée at the bottom of plates. (optional)
- Add wedge/wedges on top the purée, followed by the roasted bell pepper tomato sauce. Top with thinly sliced basil and chopped pistachio nuts.