This recipe is for a delicious, creamy and flavorful Spinach & Mushroom Lasagna. This lasagna is easy to make and adapt according to preferences. Serve this lasagna for lunch, dinner or make it for meal prep purpose. This lasagna is both vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
Lasagna is such a comforting, warming and super delicious dish. It’s always my go to when I want to make something in a big batch, that tastes amazing and just gets better the longer it gets to sit in the fridge. And the best thing is that you can vary it endlessly using different ingredients, vegetables, proteins and cheeses. Since I don’t eat gluten and Im not a huge fan of pasta I always make my lasagnas using zucchini instead of lasagna sheets. It makes the lasagna lighter and won’t put you in a food coma after eating a piece, but still doesn’t compromise the gooey and delicious taste. Kind of combining the best of two worlds! Even my pasta loving boyfriend love love love my zucchini based lasagnas! This lasagna is a vegetarian one made with mixed mushrooms, spinach, Creme Fraiche, some wine (optional), feta cheese and yellow cheese. It is so incredibly creamy, tasty and delicious but also has a light and fresh feeling to it. This lasagna is perfect to make serve for lunch or dinner or to make for meal prep purpose, preferably in a double batch. This lasagna is both vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
A few tips:
- Preferably slice the zucchini using a mandolin to make sure the slices are equally thick.
- You want thin slices but not too thin, you still want to be able to taste and feel them when eating the lasagna. Therefore I used thickness 3 out of 4 on my mandolin.
- I used mixed mushrooms for this lasagna (button mushrooms, forest mushrooms and portobello) but you can use any mushrooms that you like or can find in the store.
- I used fresh spinach when making this lasagna, but you can also use frozen spinach. Make sure to thaw the spinach in advance and then squeeze out the excess water before adding it to the pan.
- I added a bit of white wine to the mushroom spinach mixture because I like the taste it adds. But you can omit it if you want.
- You can layer this lasagna in three or four layers, depending on how big your pan is.
- Bake the lasagna for approximately 25-35 minutes. If the cheese isn’t golden brown when you’ve baked it for 25-35 minutes turn on the broiler and bake for another 1-3 minutes. But be sure to check on the lasagna so it doesn’t burn.
- This lasagna is good to store in the fridge for up tp 5 days.
- You can also freeze the lasagna in portion sizes and then let it thaw over night or defrost it in the microwave. I prefer to reheat my lasagna in the oven on low heat.
Ingredients for this Spinach & Mushroom Lasagna:
- Yellow onion
- Mixed mushrooms (I used button, forest and portobello mushrooms)
- Creme Fraiche
- White wine (optional)
- Vegetable stock cube
- Lemon juice
- Paprika powder
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Feta cheese
- Olive oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Open Lentil Moussaka (Vegan & Oil Free)
- Zucchini Enchiladas with Black Beans (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Vegan Zucchini Ricotta Rolls (Gluten, Dairy, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Spinach Stuffed Portobello (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Mushroom Stroganoff (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
Spinach & Mushroom Lasagna (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- 1-2 Zucchini (depending on how big they are) thinly sliced own a mandolin
- 1 Yellow onion minced
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 300 g Mixed mushrooms (I used button mushrooms, forest mushrooms and portobello) sliced
- 200-250 g Spinach
- 3 dl Creme Fraiche
- 1 dl White wine (optional)
- 1 Vegetable stock cube
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2-1 package Feta cheese crumbled
- 150 g Cheese grated
- Olive oil, to fry
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- When the pan is hot add the yellow onion and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes, until it starts to get soft and golden brown.
- Next add the mushrooms and spinach and fry until soft and tender.
- Add the creme fraich, white wine (if using), vegetable stock cube, lemon juice, cumin, paprika powder and mix until combined. Taste and season with sea salt and black pepper if needed. Let it shimmer until the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile slice the zucchini using a mandolin into thin stripes (I used thickness 3 out of 4).
- Take oven safe baking pan and add zucchini slices at the bottom of the pan. Depending on if your doing three of four layers add either one third or one forth of the filling on the zucchini stripes. Add a little crumbled feta cheese on top.
- Cover with new zucchini stripes and repeat this procedure until you have used all the mushroom/spinach filling.
- Add zucchini stripes on top and then the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes. Then turn on the broiler and bake for another 2-3 minutes, until golden brown.