This recipe if for a fresh, flavorful and super delicious Roasted Eggplant/Aubergine with Lentils & Feta Cheese. This dish is really easy to make, requires minimal effort from your end and taste amazing. Serve this dish for lunch, main course or as a side dish. It is also perfect to make for meal prep purpose. This dish is both vegetarian and gluten free.
Eating vegetarian doesn’t have to be boring, hard or time consuming. This dish is the perfect example of an easy, flavorful and healthy vegetarian dish that require minimal effort from your end. Not only is this dish both healthy, delicious and easy to make, it’s also very wallet friendly and perfect to make in a big batch for meal prep purpose. Eggplants/aubergine is such a versatile vegetable that is both healthy, nutritious and easy to use. It is a great substitute for meat since it has a bit of a meaty texture when cooked. These roasted eggplants/aubergines are oven baked and topped with fresh sumac and lemon seasoned lentils, creamy feta cheese, crunchy pomegranate seeds, tangy Creme Fraiche/yogurt and fresh parsley. This dish is perfect to serve for lunch, as a main course or side dish. It is both vegetarian and gluten free.
A few tips:
- Before baking the eggplants/aubergines cut the flesh in criss-cross pattern. But make sure not to cut it all the way though so the eggplant ends up in several pieces.
- The baking time will vary a bit depending on how thick and big your eggplants/aubergines are. They are ready when soft, tender and fully cooked though.
- You can use Creme Fraiche or plain thick yogurt for topping the eggplants/aubergines.
- You can prepare this dish in advance. But wait with assembling it until ready to eat. You can reheat the aubergine and lentils in the oven on low heat or in a microwave. Then add the rest of the topping at the end.
Ingredients for these Roasted Eggplant/Aubergine with Lentils & Feta Cheese:
- Olive oil (optional)
- Precooked red lentils
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Feta cheese
- Pomegranate seeds
- Creme Fraiche or Plain yogurt
- Fresh parsley
Other recipes you might like:
- Red Bell Pepper Hummus with Cauliflower Steak & Mediterranean Topping (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Grilled Aubergine with Hazelnut & Pesto Ricotta (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Roasted Point Cabbage with Scallion Salsa (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Red Cabbage On A Tahini Yogurt Dressing (Vegan, Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Open Lentil Moussaka (Vegan, Gluten & Oil Free)
- Grilled Aubergine with Roasted Garlic & Lemon Sauce (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Harissa & Honey Roasted Eggplant with Hummus (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Halloumi & Sweet Potato Stack (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Eggplant with Baked Tomatoes & Tomato Ajvar Sauce (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Grilled Halloumi & Eggplant Bites with Chimichurri (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Honey Roasted Carrots with Mint Cauliflower Purée (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Cauliflower Steak with Warm Tomatoes (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Beetroot Patties with Goat Cheese Cream (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Roasted Eggplant/Aubergine with Lentils & Feta Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
Roasted Eggplant/Aubergine with Lentils & Feta Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- 2 Aubergines sliced in half lengthwise
- Olive oil
- 1 can Precooked red lentils drained and rinsed
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- 1-2 tsp Sumac
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2-1 package Feta cheese crumbled
- 1-2 tbsp Pomegranate seeds
- 3-4 tbsp Creme fraiche or thick plain yogurt
- Fresh parsley roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- Score the eggplants/aubergine flesh in a criss-cross pattern, but only cut the surface and not fully though.
- Place the cut aubergines/eggplats on a parchment covered baking sheet and drizzle with some olive oil and season with sea salt according to taste. Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes, until tender and fully baked.
- When about 5 minutes of the baking time remains preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes until it starts to get golden brown.
- Add the drained red lentils and stir to combine.
- Add lemon juice, sumac spice, cumin and season with sea salt and black pepper according to taste. Stir to combine.
- When the eggplants/aubergine are done take them out of the oven and divide the lentils between the eggplants/aubergines.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese, pomegranate seeds, creme fraiche or yogurt and fresh parsley.