This is an easy, tasty and delicious recipe made using one marinade resulting in three different kind of skewers. This recipe is both easy and quick to make, can easily be made in large amounts without any additional effort and is easy to vary and adapt. Make these hummus bowls for lunch, dinner, summer parties or include them in a buffet.
Summer means lots of fun, festive and delicious dinners and grill parties including both friends and family. But let’s be honest, they can sometimes be very stressful, include lot of preparations and endless planning of different dishes to satisfy everyones food preferences and philosophies. Thats when you have to make these hummus bowls made with three different options to suit both vegan, vegetarian and non-vegetarian food preferences. This dish is both easy and quick to prepare, using hummus as the base and then only adapting what to put on the skewers. The same marinade is used for all three skewers, making it really easy to prepare and no hassle preparing several marinades and seasonings. I served my hummus bowls with feta cheese dip and a mint tzatziki (it can also be made vegan if needed) and gluten free pita bread. The sides, dips and sauces can easily be varied to provide more alternatives (will mention a few ideas below). The best thing is that you can entertain and satisfy a whole party of people with minimal effort and still gather around the same food without anyone having to eat “special options”.
A few tips:
- This dish can be made in the oven or on the grill.
- Cut the chicken into equally sized pieces to ensure the same baking time for all the pieces.
- I used this hummus for my bowls. If you want to make your own you can try this white bean hummus, miso hummus or this classic hummus
- The chicken and vegetables takes the longest time to bake/grill. So start by cooking them. Then add the sweet potato slices and halloumi skewers after about 3-5 minutes.
- Additional ideas on dips, sauces and sides to serve with these hummus bowls: baba ganoush, chimichurri, salsa verde, rhubarb & peach salsa, charred scallion salsa, basil sauce, Pico de Gallo, mint mojo, mango salsa.
Ingredients for these Hummus Bowl Three Ways with Chicken, Halloumi, Vegetable Skewers:
- Yellow bell pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Button mushrooms
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Chili flakes
- Paprika powder
- Lemon pepper
- Sea salt
- Fiber syrup or agave
- Creme Fraiche (Vegan if needed)
- Fresh mint
- Feta cheese (Vegan if needed)
- Greek yogurt (Vegan if needed)
Other recipes you might like:
- Beetroot Falafel with White Bean Hummus (Oven Baked, Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Black Bean Fajitas (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh (Vegan, Gluten & Oil Free)
- Grill Platter (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Asian Style Tofu Steak (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Healthy Falafel (Oven Baked, Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Grilled Aubergine with Roasted Garlic & Lemon Sauce (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Grilled Halloumi & Eggplant Bites with Chimichurri (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Shakshuka with Halloumi (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Roasted Eggplant – Aubergine with Lentils & Feta Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Grilled Mini Aubergines with Herb Gremolata (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Grilled Aubergine & Zucchini with Hazelnut Pesto & Ricotta (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Grilled Vegetable Bites with Mozzarella & Pesto (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Chicken Skewers with Watermelon & Feta Cheese (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Lemon & Yogurt Marinated Chicken Skewers with Hummus (Gluten Free)
Hummus Bowl Three Ways with Chicken, Halloumi, Vegetable Skewers (Gluten Free)
- 250-300 g Hummus (see the one I used in note 1 below)
- 2 Chicken fillets diced
- 2 packages Halloumi cut into slices lengthwise
- 1 Yellow bell pepper cored and cut into bigger dices
- 10 Cherry tomatoes
- 5 Button mushrooms cut in half
- 1/2-1 Zucchini cut into bigger dices
- 1/2-1 Aubergine/Eggplant cut into bigger dices
- 2 Sweet potatoes sliced
For the marinade
- 1/2 dl Olive oil
- 1/2 Lemon juiced
- 1/2 Lemon zest
- 1 tsp Chili flakes
- 1-2 tsp Paprika powder
- 1 tsp Lemon pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1-2 Garlic cloves grated
- 1 tsp Fiber syrup or agave (optional)
For the tzatziki
- 2 dl Creme Fraiche (vegan if needed)
- 1 Cucumber grated and squeezed
- 2-3 Garlic cloves minced
- Fresh mint, to taste (optional) finely chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
For the feta cheese dip
- 1 package Feta cheese (vegan if needed) mashed
- 2-3 tbsp Greek yogurt (vegan if needed)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl. Divide between three different bowls if vegetarian/vegan is preferred.
- Cut and dice the chicken and vegetables. Place in the marinade and let it sit for 10-20 minutes.
- Add the chicken, halloumi and vegetables to separate skewers.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Bake the vegetable and chicken skewers for 12-18 minutes. (Depending on how big your chicken pieces are).
- Add the halloumi skewers and sliced sweet potatoes after 3-5 minutes, bake for 8-12 min.
- You can also grill the skewers and sweet potatoes on the grill, takes about 7-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the feta cheese dip and tzatziki. Place in bowls.
- Serve the skewers together with hummus, feta cheese dip, tzatziki and pita bread.