This recipe is for a delicious, tasty and flavorful tofu steak made asian style. This dish only requires 15 minutes of your time and is really easy to make. Serve this dish as a main course or make it for meal prep purpose. This dish is both vegan and gluten free.
You know when you want something “meaty” but don’t want to eat meat?! I at least have that feeling more than often during spring and summer. Craving fresh food and not in the mood for meat at all… but I still crave that meaty texture and lot of delicious and flavorful food. Yes, that’s when I make a tofu steak! It doesn’t always have to be Asian style… but tonight that was what I was craving. Asian flavors, with a meaty feeling but I wanted to keep it vegan. This vegan spicy tofu steak is so easy to make, easy to adapt according to taste and such a great alternative to meat. It is perfect to serve as a main course or make it for meal prep purposes. It is both vegan and gluten free (if using gluten free soya and hoisin sauce that is).
A few tips:
- Make sure to let the tofu blocks marinate in the sauce for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Don’t throw away the excess tofu marinade, you’ll need it later for serving.
- I prefer to make the cauliflower rice a little warm with a touch of lime. But when frying the cauliflower rice make sure not to fry it for too long. It should be soft and warm, but still a little crunchy and hold some texture.
- This dish is good to store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- If making it for meal prep purposes or not eating all at once I would recommend you to not prepare the cauliflower rice until ready to serve. It taste much better fresh.
Ingredients for this Asian Style Tofu Steak:
- Tofu blocks
- Rice vinegar
- Hoisin sauce
- Fresh ginger
- Chili flakes
- Bok choy
- Cauliflower rice
- Sesame oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Tofu Bowl with A Spicy Tamarind Dressing
- Stuffed Romaine Lettuce Rolls (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Spicy Oyster Mushroom Bowl (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Pajeon – Korean Pancakes (Vegan & Gluten Free)
Asian Style Tofu Steak (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- 2 blocks Tofu
- 2 tbsp Tamari
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Hoisin sauce (gluten free) + more to top
- 1/2 tbsp Fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp Chili flakes
- 1 Bok choy cut into quarters
- 2 dl Cauliflower rice
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1 Lime, to to serve cut into wedges
- Sesame oil, to fry
- Cilantro, to top roughly chopped
- 1 Scallion, to top thinly sliced
- Combine tamari, rice vinegar, hoinsin sauce, grated ginger and chili flakes in a bowl.
- Add the tofu blocks to the marinade and make sure it covered all parts of the tofu blocks.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat with some sesame oil.
- Preheat another nonstick pan over medium heat with some sesame oil.
- Start by adding the bok choy to the nonstick pan and let it fry for 3-4 minutes, until it starts to get golden brown and a bit soft.
- Add the two tofu steaks to the grill pan and let it fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. (Don't throw away the remaining tofu marinade, you will use it later)
- When the bok choy is done add a little more sesame oil and fry the cauliflower rice in it and add the lime juice at the end. The cauliflower rice should be golden brown and a little softened, but not cooked thorugh. You still want it to hold some crunch.
- Divide the caulifower rice between two plates.
- Slice the tofu steak and place on top of the cauliflower rice. Add the remaining marinade on top of the tofu steak.
- Place bok choy on the side and brush with more hoisin sauce.
- Top with cilantro, sliced scallion and lime wedges on the side.
One thought on “Asian Style Tofu Steak (Vegan & Gluten Free)”