This is a delicious and easy recipe for Pajeon – Korean Pancakes. They only require a few ingredients and are ready in 15 minutes. These pancakes are both vegan and gluten free. They can be served either as appetizers or main course.
What is Jeon? It is a savory Korean flat cake that includes meat, fish, seafood or vegetables. Pa means scallion – Therefore Pajeon is a scallion pancake. This pancake is really easy to make and to vary. You can experiment using your favorite flours and add-ins. I used oat flour when I made mine, and it tured out really well! I also added some kimchi juice to the batter to make it more flavorful and a little more interesting. It’s a really nice but still subtile addition. But it is really good without the juice as well. These pancakes are good to serve either as appetizers or as main course. I served my pancakes with a savory tamari and rice vinegar dip sauce, kimchi and more scallions.
Ingredients for these Pajeon – Korean Pancakes:
- Oat flour
- Baking soda
- Milk (I used almond)
- Garlic powder
- Tamari or soya sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
Other recipes you might like:
- Stuffed Romaine Lettuce Rolls (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Asian Style Salad Cups with Shrimps
- Asian Style Salmon Salad
- Asian Style Tuna Steak (Paleo, Keto & Low Carb)
Pajeon – Korean Pancakes (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- 3 1/2 dl Oat flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- A pinch of Salt
- 2 dl Milk (I used almond)
- 2 tbsp Kimchi juice
- 2-3 Scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Tamari or soya sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp Sesame seeds
- 1 Scallion thinly sliced
- Combine rice, baking soda, garlic powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add milk, kimchi juice to a mixer and blend for a few seconds.
- Add in the flour mixture and scallions and mix until you have a smooth batter. It will be quite thin. Let the batter rest for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- This batter makes 2 bigger pancakes or 4 smaller ones.
- Fry the pancakes for 2-3 minutes on each side, depending on how big you make them.
- Combine tamari/soya sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and sesame seeds in a small bowl.
- Serve the pancakes with kimchi, the soya sauce and more sliced scallions.
One thought on “Pajeon – Korean Pancakes (Vegan & Gluten Free)”