These Stuffed Romaine Lettuce Rolls are a lighter and more delicate version of classic cabbage rolls. They are filled with a warm cauliflower and mushroom mixture that is warming but still light and fresh. The flavors are Asian inspired using garlic, ginger, tamari and lemon as seasoning.
These vegan rolls can be served either as an appetizer, finger food or starter since they are bite sized. But are also suitable as a main course since they’re warm, flavorful and comforting. The cauliflower and mushroom mixture is seasoned with ginger, garlic, lemon juice and tamari which makes it flavorful and warming. By using cauliflower rice instead of regular rice they’re lighter and carry more freshness. But if you prefer them more filling feel free to swap the cauliflower rice for regular rice. I really love the lemon juice and the ginger in this mixture. It adds flavor but also makes a great contrast to the tamari, umami and garlic.
These cute little rolls do take some additional time to make compared regular cabbage rolls, since the lettuce leafs are smaller and more delicate. But I still think they’re worth it! Make sure to use the bigger leafs from the romaine lettuce head. When filling the rolls add about 1 tablespoon of filling on each (slightly depending on how big lettuce leafs you’re using). Place the filling in the middle and not too close to the edges, otherwise it will be hard to fold them. I served mine with a light lime and soya sauce with a hint of ginger. But they are delicious even without the sauce, just as they are.
Ingredients for these Stuffed Romaine Lettuce Rolls:
- Romaine lettuce
- Yellow onion
- Button mushrooms
- Fresh ginger
- Lemon juice
Other recipes you might like:
- Grilled Romaine Lettuce
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh (Oil & Gluten Free)
- Quinoa Stuffed Green Bell Peppers (Gluten Free & Vegan)
- Vegan Zucchini Ricotta Rolls (Gluten Dairy, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Tofu Bowl with a Spicy Tamarind Dressing
- Open Lentil Moussaka (Vegan & Oil Free)
- Lentil Curry (Vegan)
Stuffed Romaine Lettuce Rolls (Vegan & Gluten Free)
For the romaine salad rolls
- 1/4 (approximately 3 dl rice) big Caulifower head riced
- 1/2 Yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 Button mushrooms finely diced
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- 1/2-1 cm Fresh ginger grated
- 1 Scallion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Tamari
- 16-20 Romaine salad leafs
For the lime soya sauce
- 1 tbsp Light soya/tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ginger (optional) grated
- Combine the ingredients for the lime soya sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat a non stick pan over medium heat.
- Fry the onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes until it starts to get lightly brown and soft.
- Add button mushrooms and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile run the cauliflower in a blender until you have a rice-like texture.
- Add the scallion and cauliflower to the pan and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Lower the heat low and season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and tamari.
- Bring water to a boil in a big pot.
- Separete the romaine lettuce leafs.
- When water starts boiling lower the heat and let the water shimmer.
- Add a few romaine lettuce leafs to the pot and let them soften for approximately one minute.
- Take them out of the water, put on a plate havig the short side facing you, and add about 1 tbsp of the cauliflower mushroom mixture in the middle of the salad leaf.
- Fold the edges of the salad and then roll together lengtwise.
- Repeat until you have used all the mixture.
- Serve with the lime soya sauce.