This is a recipe for a gluten free and healthier version of a classic tabbouleh. It only takes five minutes to make and requires a few key ingredients. This cauliflower tabbouleh is perfect to serve for a light lunch with some feta cheese on top, as a side dish to fish, chicken or meat or to include in big mezze dinner. It is both vegan, gluten, grain free and low carb.
Tabbouleh is such a great all around salad to make that really pairs well with everything! I love making this tabbouleh and it has really become a salad that I make on repeat. This salad is filled with different flavors, its fresh and so easy and quick to make. If you have been following me for a while you know that Im all about the fresh and delicious salads. But at the same time, I don’t want them to be too heavy, especially not if you’re having them as a side dish to a main course. I wanted to make this amazing salad eatable for everyone, that’s why I switched bulgur for cauliflower which makes it both gluten free and paleo friendly. And the best part of using cauliflower instead of bulgur is that it’s ready in only five minutes. The original recipe also includes a lot of olive oil… and Im not a fan of olive oil at all. For me it makes the salad too heavy and greasy. So this version only has a little drizzle of olive oil (and that is also optional, because it’s so good even without) when frying the cauliflower. I have been making this salad for quite some time now, and I never get tired of it. This salad is like a chameleon, it just blends in and matches with everything! I serve it with chicken, fish, meat, as a light lunch with just some feta cheese or shrimps and part of a biiiig mezze dinner. It just never goes wrong.
A few tips:
- My tips is to make the cauliflower “bulgur” in a high speed blender. But you can also make it using a grater.
- I only used a drizzle of olive oil to fry the cauliflower. If adding more olive oil it becomes too heavy for my taste. But you can of course add more olive oil if you like it.
- Fry the cauliflower on medium/high heat. It should get some color and get warm, but not cooked though and too soft.
- This tabbouleh can be prepared in advance.
Ingredients for this Cauliflower Tabbouleh:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Mint leafs
- Olive oil (optional)
Cauliflower Tabbouleh (Oil & Gluten Free)
- 1/2 Cauliflower head riced
- 2 Scallions (both white and green parts) thinly sliced
- 1/3 Cucumber finely diced
- 6-8 Cherry tomatoes finely diced
- 2 hands full of Parsley finely chopped
- 1 hand full of Mint leafs finely chopped
- 1 Lemon juiced
- A drizzle of Olive oil (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Run the cauliflower in a blender until you have a couscous-like texture.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medlum heat with a little drizzle of olive oil.
- Add the cauliflower couscous and fry until it starts to get some color. Stir occasioanlly.
- Meanwhile dice, slice and chop the rest of the ingredients and put in a bowl.
- When cauliflower is done add it to the bowl and squeeze the lemon juice over everything.
- Season according to taste with salt and pepper and combine everything well.
- Garnish with a few extra tomatoes on top (optional).