This recipe is for a tasty, flavorful and super delicious White Bean Hummus with Fried Vegetables. This dish comes together in the blink of an eye, only requires a few key ingredients and is ready to serve in 15 minutes. Serve this dish as an appetizer or side dish to your main course. It is both vegan, gluten, grain and oil free.
I guess most people know of chickpea hummus, the original way of making hummus. But it can be made in so many different ways and version to vary the taste and food preferences. This hummus is made with white beans. White beans are more nutritious and have a higher amount of both protein and fiber. So this white bean hummus is an extra nutritious hummus that still has the same texture and taste of a regular chickpea hummus. This white bean hummus is also oil free, since Im not a huge fan of oily food, but it still tastes amazing and is as delicious as a regular one. I would dare to say that the tahini is a game changer in all hummus recipes, and this one is no exception. Tahini adds such a wonderful nutty and earthy flavor to the hummus and makes it creamy and delicious. It is optional, since I know far from everyone has it at home. But it is highly recommended. And if you don’t have it at home, you really should buy a jar and start using it. It is such a great and versatile condiment to have at home. Back to this dish. This dish is both easy and quick to make and healthy at the same time. It is served with fried aubergine/eggplant and zucchini and served with fresh vegan yogurt/sour cream. The fresh sour cream makes such a wonderful contrast to the nutty and flavorful hummus. Serve this white bean hummus as an appetizer or side dish. It is both vegan, gluten, grain and oil free.
A few tips:
- You can use both cooked or uncooked beans for this hummus. If using uncooked you need to soak them and then cook them before making the hummus.
- I love a fresh and zesty hummus hence I usually use quite a lot of lemon juice. But you can start by adding just one tablespoon and then add more if desired.
- Im prefer my hummus with less garlic taste, hence only using one garlic clove. But if you love garlic add two garlic cloves.
- Tahini is optional but highly recommended. It adds a wonderful nutty and earthy flavor to the hummus.
- I always make my hummus oil free since Im not a big fan of olive oil. But if you prefer to add olive oil go ahead and start by adding 1-2 tablespoons.
- Since I don’t use olive oil I thin out my hummus using water. The amount of water will vary depending on how dense or creamy you prefer your hummus. Start by adding one tablespoon and then adding more if desired.
Ingredients for this White Bean Hummus with Fried Vegetables:
- White beans
- Tahini (optional, but highly recommended)
- Sea salt
- Fresh parsley
- Vegan sour cream or yogurt
Other recipes you might like:
- Pimientos De Padrón with vegan Cheese Dip (Vegan, Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Shaved Carrot Salad (Vegan, Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Healthy Falafel (Oven Baked)
- Poached Eggs with Greek yogurt & Fried Halloumi (Vegetarian, Gluten, Gran Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Tomatoes On A Feta Cheese Yogurt Bed (Gluten, Grain, Oil Free & Low Carb)
- Red Bell Pepper Hummus with Cauliflower Steak & Mediterranean Topping (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Roasted Red Cabbage On A Tahini Yogurt Dressing
White Bean Hummus with Fried Vegetables (Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free)
For the hummus
- 1 (230) can (g) White beans drained and rinsed
- 1-2 tbsp Tahini (optional but highly recommended)
- 1-2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1-2 tbsp Lemon juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- Water to thin, if needed
For the vegetables
- 1/2 Aubergine sliced
- 1/2 Zucchini sliced
- Fresh parsley
- Vegan yogurt or sour cream
- Olive oil, to fry (optional, I did not use it since I have a nonstick pan)
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil (if using).
- When the pan is hot add the sliced aubergine/eggplant and zucchini and fry for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile add all the ingredients for the white bean hummus to a high speed blender and mix until smooth. Taste to check if more seasoning is needed and add water if it needs to thin.
- Place the hummus on a plate and top with fried vegetables, vegan yogurt or sour cream and fresh parsley.