This recipe for hummus, poached eggs, roasted chickpeas and tomato bowl is flavorful, fresh, colorful and so tasty. It mostly calls for staple ingredients, is wallet friendly and easy to make. Serve this lovely bowl for brunch or lunch. It is vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
I always go for eggs when comes to weekend breakfasts and brunches! I love eggs and eat them almost everyday and I still don’t get tired of them. Egg are incredibly versatile, with endless variations on how to cook and prepare them, high in nutrition, wallet friendly and easy to prepare. That also goes for poached eggs! I know some people are afraid of poaching eggs, thinking it’s complicated and that they’re going to fail. Sure, you might from time to time get it wrong. But trust me, I managed on my first attempt and had been worrying and postponing poaching eggs for nothing. The best thing about poached eggs is actually that they are easy and quick to make but still feel kind of fancy. Therefor poached eggs are my go-to that I only make for those special occasions. This dish with creamy hummus, tender and delicate poached eggs, crunchy chickpeas and tomatoes is an easy and delicious dish that I usually only make for a long and relaxing weekend brunch. But it is also just as good to have for lunch during the week or even an easy and nutritious dinner. Serve it with a delicious roasted bread that you can dip in both the hummus, creamy egg yolk and fresh yogurt. This dish is both vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
A few tips:
- You can use store bought or make your own hummus. Here are a few hummus recipes that you can try out: Classic Hummus, White Bean Hummus or Miso Hummus.
- Here is the recipe I use for my roasted chickpeas. They can also be made in an air fryer, but reduce the time with 10-15 minutes.
- You can either fry the tomatoes in a pan or bake them in the oven or an air fryer.
- Poached eggs are best made with fresh eggs. This is the most important part to succeed poaching eggs. Old eggs where the egg white has become a bit runny will not poach well. The egg white should be fresh and firm.
- Add vinegar to the boiling water, this will make it easier to poach the eggs.
- If you want to speed up the time to poach the eggs use two pots and cook two eggs simultaneously.
Ingredients for this Hummus, Poached Eggs, Roasted Chickpeas & Tomato Bowl:
- Vinegar (optional)
- Greek or Turkish yogurt
- Paprika powder
- Mixed cherry tomatoes
- Roasted chickpeas
- Gluten Free Bread (optional)
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Poached Eggs with Greek Yogurt & Fried Halloumi (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Poached Eggs with Yogurt & Tomatoes (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Asparagus & Feta Cheese Omelette
- Brunch Tacos with Black Beans Fried Eggs & Home Made Salsa (Gluten & Dairy Free)
- Lentil Shakshuka
- Sweet Potato Toast with Poached Egg (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Asparagus Frittata with Pesto & Burrata (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Green Shakshuka (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Toast with Scrambled Eggs & Chanterelles
- Sweet Potato Spinach Waffle with Asparagus & Poached Egg (Vegetarian, Gluten & Dairy Free)
- Zucchini Omelette with Smoked Salmon (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
Hummus, Poached Eggs, Roasted Chickpeas & Tomato Bowl (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- 3 dl Hummus (see note 1 for homemade hummus recipes)
- 2 Eggs (preferably fresh)
- 1 tbsp Vinegar (optional)
- 4 tbsp Greek or Turkish Yogurt
- Paprika powder
- 15-20 Mixed cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 tbsp Roasted Chickpeas (see note 2 for homemade roasted chickpeas)
- Cilantro, to top
- Gluten free bread (optional)
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
- Start by making the roasted chickpeas, preferably in advance/the day before.
- Prepare the hummus, unless using store bought.
- Preheat a pan over medium heat with some olive oil or preheat the oven/air fryer to 200/170 degrees Celsius.
- Add half of the cherry tomatoes to the pan and fry for 5-8 minutes, stirring every now and then, until they are soft and tender. If using the oven, place the cherry tomatoes in an oven safe dish, sprinkle with some olive oil and sea salt. Bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven or 10-15 minutes in the air fryer. Stir halfway.
- Slice the remaining cherry tomatoes in half.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium sized pot together with the vingear (if using).
- I cook one egg at a time. Start by cracking one egg into a small bowl.
- When the water starts to boil, lower the heat and wait until the water just simmers.
- Using a whisk or a wooden spoon create a swirl in the water.
- Gently slip the egg into the simmering water. Let it cook for 2-4 minutes, depending on how runny you prefer your eggs.
- Remove the egg with slotted spoon and drain well.
- Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Assembly the bowl by spreading hummus at the bottom of two plates.
- Add one poached egg to each bowl, followed by the Greek/Turkish yogurt on the side and sprinkle with paprika powder on top.
- Top with fresh and baked/fried tomatoes, roasted chickpeas and cilantro. Serve with fresh bread (optional).