This is a version of the Indonesian herbal health drink named Jamu. My version is made with five main ingredients and comes together in only 10 minutes. This drink is great to start your day with, drink after a meal or just when you feel like having a refreshing, pungent and flavorful immune boost. Jamu is really easy to make, adapt and vary. This one is vegan/vegetarian (depending on which liquid sweetener you will use), gluten, grain free and low carb.
What is Jamu?
There are mixed theories of the origin of Jamu. But the most common understanding is that it originates from Central Java. At the Borobudur Temple there are old inscription panels of people grinding something with stone mortar and pestle, drink sellers, physicians and masseuse treating their clients. These have been interpreted as traditional herbal medicine and health treatments. Different kind of spices, herbs and roots are used depending on what needs to be strengthened or which symptoms need to be treated. Jamu is still widely consumed in Indonesia with many different varieties to be found. This recipe for Jamu is a simple and easy one made with only five ingredients. With its mix of earthy, spicy, pungent, sweet and sourish flavors coming from turmeric root, ginger root, lime/lemon and honey/agave, it is a truly refreshing drink. If you feel a bit extra adventurous add a bit of freshly ground pepper. Not only does it add that extra punch in the Jamu, it also helps absorbing curcumin from the turmeric. The body can not fully absorb curcumin on its own, but the piperine in the black pepper helps the body and increases the absorption of the curcumin. You can have this Jamu as a shot or dilute with water if you prefer it less pungent and spicy. Take a shot/drink of Jamu in the morning for an extra immune boost, drink one after a meal or just when you feel like having something refreshing, energizing but also immune boosting.
A few tips:
- Use fresh turmeric root and ginger root if you can. It makes a big difference in the taste.
- Make sure to wash the turmeric and ginger well, making sure there’s no soil or stones left.
- If you can’t find fresh turmeric you can use about one tablespoon of ground turmeric instead.
- You can use both lime and lemon, just take the one you prefer.
- The amount of lime/lemon can be adjusted according to taste.
- The amount of agave/honey can be adjusted according to taste depending on how sweet you prefer it.
- Black pepper is optional but recommended. It both gives the Jamu an extra punch, but also increases the absorption of curcumin from the turmeric.
- Use a powerful high speed blender to make the jamu, you want it to mix well and turn really smooth.
- Strain it through a small mesh sieve to make sure you only end up with the smooth dink in the bottle.
- You can drink the Jamu as is or dilute it with some water.
- The Jamu is good to store in the fridge for up to seven days.
Ingredients for this Jamu – Indonesian Herbal Health Drink:
- Turmeric root
- Ginger root
- Black pepper (optional)
Other ingredients you might like:
- Green Pineapple & Ginger Smoothie (Vegan, Gluten, Grain & Sugar Free)
- Green Smoothie Bowl (Vegan, Gluten, Grain & Sugar Free)
- Chai Spiced Smoothie Bowl (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Mango, Kiwi & Peach Smoothie Bowl (Vegan, Gluten, Grain & Sugar Free)
Jamu – Indonesian Herbal Health Drink (Vegan/Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- 100 g Fresh turmeric root washed
- 40-60 g Fresh ginger root washed
- 1 Lime/Lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp Fiber syrup, agave or honey
- Black pepper, to taste (optional) freshly ground
- 800-1000 ml Water
- Wash the turmeric and ginger well. You can peel it if you want, but I just wash it well to remove any soil or stones.
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender (start by using less water then adding more if the drink is too strong, you can also always add more water later on) and mix until smooth.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve, then transfer to a bottle and store in the fridge.