This delicious, flavorful and healthy recipe is inspired by all my favorite Mediterranean flavors combined into one delicious dish. This recipe is really easy to make, taste amazing, is filling yet fresh and light. It’s both vegetarian and gluten free and ready to serve in 30 minutes. This dish is perfect to serve either as a main dish or as a side dish!
Creamy red bell pepper hummus, baked cauliflower steak, sun dried tomatoes, olives and feta cheese equals an aaaamazing combination and a taste explosion in your mouth. This dish is pure joy if you ask me. It’s so delicious, full of flavor and so easy to make. I wanted to make a dish that combined my favorite Mediterranean flavors. The first thing I thought of was hummus, but I wanted to make it with a twist. So I thought why not make a red bell pepper version. This hummus is creamy, sweetish yet nutty and fresh. I also wanted to add something that felt a bit “meaty” but keep it vegetarian and light. Therefore I chose to make a cauliflower steak. A cauliflower steak makes a vegetarian dish feel more satisfying and like you’re actually having a piece of protein due to the texture. Then I added delicious sun dried tomatoes, olives and crumbled feta cheese to add some texture, some sweetness and some saltiness. If you’re into Mediterranean flavors you really need to try this dish!
A few tips:
- Make sure the red bell pepper is really soft and baked though.
- I prefer to bake my cauliflower steak “al dente” so that it still holds some texture and chewing resistance.
- Make sure to use good quality sun dried tomatoes, olives and feta cheese.
- Choose the olives you like the most.
- Preferably use a creamy and light feta cheese.
Ingredients for this Red Bell Pepper Hummus with Cauliflower Steak & Mediterranean Topping:
- Red bell pepper
- Garlic clove
- Lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
- Feta cheese
- Fresh parsley
Other recipes you might like:
- Roasted Red Cabbage On A Tahini Yogurt Dressing
- Easy Sweet Potato Hash with Black Beans & Bell Pepper
- Open Lentil Moussaka (Vegan & Oil Free)
- Sesame Fried Cauliflower Rice with Marinated Aubergine (Vegan, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Grilled Aubergine with Roasted Garlic & Lemon Sauce (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free, Low Carb)
Red Bell Pepper Hummus with Cauliflower Steak & Mediterranean Topping (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- 1 large Red bell pepper
- 1 (230) can (g) Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 Garlic clove
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp Tahini (optional)
- 1+1 tsp Sea salt
- 2 slices Cauliflower sliced lenghtwise from the middle
- 1 tsp Olive or Avocado oil
- 6-8 (Mixed) olives pitted and quartered
- 1/2 package Feta cheese crumbled
- Parsley, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Celsius.
- Divide the red bell pepper in two and core it.
- Put garlic cloves in aluminium foil.
- Add red bell pepper and garlic cloves on a parchment covered baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make two fairly thick (1-1 1/2 cm) slices from the mid of a cauliflower head.
- Add to the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil (if using) and 1 tsp sea salt. Bake in the oven until golden brown (about 20-25 minutes) until golden brown and softened. I like my cauliflower steak not fully baked though. I take it out when it still has come chewing recistance left.
- Meanwhile pit and slice the olives and crumble the feta cheese.
- When the red bell pepper and cauliflower is ready turn off the oven.
- Take out the red bell pepper and let it cool for a few minutes, until you can peel it without burning your fingers.
- Add the peeled red bell pepper, chickpeas, garlic cloves, lemon juice, sea salt and tahini (if using) to a bowl and mix uging a hand mixer or a high speed blender. Taste to see if more seasoning is needed.
- Place the red bell pepper hummus on plates followed by cauliflower. Top with sun dried tomatoes, olives, crumbled feta cheese and parsley.