This Lentil Curry is a quick, easy and warming curry that comes together in only 15 minutes. It only requires a few staple ingredients that you probably already have at home. This is the perfect quick and warming dish to prepare during autumn and winter.
I wanted to make a quick and easy vegan lentil curry that only requires a few key ingredients, is easily adaptable and anti-inflammatory. Therefore the main spices that Im using in this curry are garlic, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon and cardamom. The garlic, ginger and turmeric give it some sting and heat, while the cinnamon and cardamom brings those warming and comforting flavors. Im using green lentils in this curry, but you can easily swap them for any other lentils or beans you have at home. Or even better, mix a lot of different ones. I can strongly recommend you to make a double, or even tripple batch of it. Then you’ll be sure you have something warm, quick and healthy to eat now that flue season is coming. This curry can also be divided into lunch boxes and frozen. Then you can bring out a box and let it thaw over night or defrost in the microwave.
Ingredients for this Lentil Curry:
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Fresh ginger
- Green lentils
- Vegetable stock cube
- Red bell pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
Other recipes you might like:
- Roasted Red Cabbage on a Tahini Yoghurt Dressing
- Quinoa Stuffed Green Bell Peppers (Gluten Free & Vegan)
- Open Lentil Moussaka (Vegan & Oil Free)
- Vegan Zucchini Ricotta Rolls (Gluten, Dairy, Grain Free, Low Carb)
Lentil Curry (Vegan)
- 2 tsp Olive oil, to fry (optional)
- 1 Yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1-2 cm Fresh ginger (depending on how spicy you like it) grated
- 2 (760 g) cans Red lentils drained and rinsed
- 1-1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground tumeric
- 1 tsp Ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 2 Vegetable stock cubes
- 1 liter Water
- 1 medium sized Carrot sliced
- 1/2 Red bell pepper cored and diced
- 15 Cherry tomatoes divided in half
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil (if using).
- Fry the onion, garlic, fresh ginger, cinnamon, tumeric, cumin and cardamom (if using) until it starts to get soft and golden brown.
- Add the bell pepper and carrot and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, stock cube and water and let it shimmer until vegetables have softened and most of the water has evaporated.
- Taste the curry to check if more seasoning is needed and add salt and pepper according to taste.
- Add the cherry tomatoes just the minute before you take it of the stow. I also like keeping some raw ones to add on top.
- Serve with rice or cauliflower rice.
9 thoughts on “Lentil Curry (Vegan)”