This is a tasty, flavorful and cozy Healthy Chili Con Carne. This chili con carne is very easy to make, mostly uses staple ingredients and is easy to adapt according to taste. Make this chili con carne for meal prep purpose, for easy and delicious weekday meals or for a cozy weekend dinner. It is also perfect to make when having more people over since the recipe easily can be made in a bigger batch. This chili con carne is both gluten and grain free (unless served with regular rice).
Tomato based recipes are my always my go to when I want something that is both tasty, flavorful, cozy and comforting. And this chili con carne is no exception! It took me a while to make my own chili con carne, because I always associated it with the bland and over cooked one I got at school. But shame on me for waiting so long, because now it’s one of my favorite stews to make. This chili con carne is easy to make, so flavorful, tasty and cozy at the same time. I also added some wine to my chili con carne taste more hearty and to really bring out the meat flavor. It also makes the chili con carne feel more rustic. I prefer to serve my chili con carne just as it is and just top it with some sour cream and cilantro and serve some bread or tortilla on the side. But if you want to make it more filling you can serve it with rice or cauliflower rice for a lower carb version. This chili con carne is perfect to make for meal prep purpose, a good and easy weekend meal, for a cozy weekend dinner or when having friendly and family over for dinner. It is both gluten and grain free.
A few tips:
- Don’t be shy on the spices, but if you don’t like your food too spicy use less red chili and chili powder.
- Make sure to let the chili con carne cook for at least 40 minutes. But the longer the better since it will make the flavors more intense.
- I added red wine to my chili con carne, but you can skip it if you don’t want to use wine. But it adds a nice rustic feeling to it and brings out the meat flavors.
- Use good quality and flavorful crushed tomatoes. It really make a big difference and makes the chili con carne more flavorful.
- You can make this chili con carne vegetarian or vegan by switching the minced beef to a vegetarian/vegan alternative. But then you might need to use a little more spices.
- I love to serve my chili con carne with just some sour cream and cilantro on top, along with some bread or tortillas. But you can also serve it with rice.
Ingredients for this Healthy Chili Con Carne:
- Yellow onion
- Red chili
- Tomato paste
- Ground beef
- Paprik powder
- Chili powder
- Black pepper
- Vegetable or beef stock cube
- Full bodied wine (optional)
- Brushed tomatoes
- Kidney beans
- Olive oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Bibimbap with Beef
- Thai Green Curry with Meatballs (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Gluten, Grain Free, Low Carb & Paleo)
- Korean Sticky Meatballs with Fresh Vegetables (Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
- Meatballs with Tsatsiki & Chimichurri (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Chickpea Curry (Vegetarian)
- Lentil Curry (Vegan)
Healthy Chili Con Carne (Gluten & Grain Free)
- 1 Yellow onion finely chopped
- 2-3 Garlic cloves minced
- 1/2-1 Red chili finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 500 g Ground beef
- 1/2 tbsp Paprika powder
- 1/2-1 tbsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 Vegetable or beef stock cube
- 500 ml Water
- 1 dl Full bodied red wine (optional)
- 500 g Cruched tomatoes
- 1 (230) can (g) Kidney beans drained and rinsed
- Olive oil, to fry
- Sour cream
- Bread or tortilla bread
- Preheat a big (nonstick) pot or pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- When the pot/pan is warm add the yellow onion and garlic and let it fry until soft and a little golden.
- Next add the red chili and fry for another minute or two.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Let it fry for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and let it fry until cooked. Stir regularly and break up bigger pieces.
- Add paprika powder, chili powder and cumin and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper according to taste and if needed.
- Next add the stock cube, water, red wine and crushed tomatoes and kidney beans and combine everything. Let it shimmer until the water has evaporated and the stew has reduced.
- Serve with sour cream, cilantro, bread/tortillas and rice/cauliflower rice.