These Vegan Zucchini Ricotta Rolls are fresh, flavorful and delicious. They are stuffed with my home made Vegan Ricotta Cheese, and I also added some button mushrooms to the ricotta for some extra umami flavor. They are really easy to make and are ready to serve in 40 minutes.
These Zucchini Ricotta Rolls are perfect when you crave something warm, filling, yet light and fresh. They come with a lot of flavor and are really satisfying. I really love the idea of ricotta filled lasagna rolls… but since I don’t eat gluten, and I don’t like pasta, this is such a great substitute for the original ones. I also remember when eating regular lasagna rolls before I got IBS. It always got a heavy food coma and just felt like I wanted to lie down for the rest of the day. The great thing about these rolls is that you don’t get that food coma but still get to enjoy the delicious combination of the baked zucchini, tomato sauce, ricotta and the melted cheese.
Ingredients for these Vegan Zucchini Ricotta Rolls:
- Vegan cheese
- Firm tofu
- Vegan Ricotta
- Button mushrooms
- Tomato sauce
- Yellow onion
- Fresh basil
You might also like the following recipes:
- Quinoa Stuffed Green Bell Peppers
- Beetroot & Kidney Bean Burgers
- Herb & Zucchini Flat Bread Pizza
- Zucchini Pappardelle with Tomato & Vegetable Sauce
- Ajvar Filled Zucchini Rolls
- Black Bean Sliders
Vegan Zucchini Ricotta Rolls (Gluten, Dairy, Grain Free, Low Carb)
For the rolls
- 12 slices of Zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 dl Vegan cheese
For the ricotta
- 1/2 package Firm tofu
- 1/2 medium sized Cauliflower head cut into smaller florets
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Natural yeast
- 1/2-1 tbsp Olive oil (optional, I did not use it)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 Button mushrooms
For the tomato sauce
- 1/2 can Tomato sauce
- 1/2 Yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 hand full of fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Put the caulifower florets on a parchment covered baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until it starts to get golden brown.
- Meanwhile prepare the tomato sauce by preheating a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, oregano, salt and pepper and let i shimmer for 10 minutes.
- At the end add the fresh basil.
- Slice the xucchini using a mandolin until you have 12 slices.
- When the cauliflower is ready put it in a blender together with the tofu, natural yeast, mushrooms, lemon juice, olive oil (if using), salt and pepper and blend until you have a smooth ricotta-like texture.
- Add about one tablespoon of ricotta to each zucchini slice and roll upp.
- Put half of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a oven safe pan.
- add the rolls to the pan.
- Add more sauce on top and sprinkle cheese over the rolls.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn on the grill/broil functuon and bake until the cheese is golden brown.