I’ve never liked pasta. Say whaaat?! Yes, it’s true! It’s never been my thing. I don’t get the pasta hype at all. But from time to time I do crave a good pasta sauce. And then I turn to my best friend. The zucchini! I could write a whole blog post on why zucchini is such a great vegetable, but I’m not gonna go there. Using zucchini as “pasta” is such a healthy, light and easy way to eat your “pasta” dish if you want to avoid real pasta. One of my favorite “pasta” dishes is this Zucchini Pappardelle with Tomato & Vegetable Sauce.
This tomatoes and vegetable sauce is so delicious and easy to make. I usually use the same base but exchange the vegetables depending on what I find in my fridge.
Ingredients for this Zucchini Pappardelle with Tomato & Vegetable Sauce:
- Canned tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Yellow onion
- Dry oregano
- Dry basil
- Cherry tomatoes
- Yellow bell pepper
- Fresh basil
- Fresh parsley
Zucchini Pappardelle with Tomato & Vegetable Sauce
- 1 Green zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 Yellow zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 can Diced tomatoes
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- 1 Yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Tomato sauce
- 1-2 tsp Dry oregano
- 1-2 tsp Dry basil
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 10-15 Cherry tomatoes of good quality divided in two
- 3 Mushrooms quartered
- 1/2 Yellow bell pepper diced
- 1/2 small Eggplant diced
- 5-6 Fresh basil leafs
- Fresh parsley, to taste (optional)
- Ruccola, to top
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Fry the garlic and onion for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add eggplant, bell pepper and mushrooms to the an and fry until the vegetables stars to get a golden.
- Now add the fresh tomatoes and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the can of diced tomatoes into the pan and add the dry oregano and basil.
- Let it shimmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile slice the zucchini using a mandolin, and then cut the slices in two lenghtwise.
- Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper, and additional herbs and spices if needed.
- Put the zucchini pappardelle on two plates.
- Add the tomato sauce and top with fresh basil, parsley and ruccola.