This recipe is for a delicious, easy and flavorful Zucchini Pappardelle with Tomato & Vegetable Sauce. This zucchini pasta with tomato and vegetable sauce comes together in only 20 minutes and is really easy to make. Make this pasta for a delicious weekend dinner, cozy weekend meal or for meal prep purpose. This dish is both vegan, gluten, grain free and low carb. It is also easy to vary and adapt depending on what you have at home and like.
I’ve never liked pasta. Say whaaat?! Yes, it’s true! It’s never been my thing. I don’t get the pasta hype at all. But from time to time I do crave a good pasta sauce. And then I turn to my best friend. The zucchini! I could write a whole blog post on why zucchini is such a great vegetable, but I’m not gonna do it here. Using zucchini as “pasta” is such a healthy, light and easy way to eat your “pasta” dish if you want to avoid real pasta. One of my favorite “pasta” dishes is this Zucchini Pappardelle with Tomato & Vegetable Sauce. The tomato sauce is made with a base of good quality canned tomatoes, tomato paste and cherry tomatoes, which makes the sauce very rich, sweet and flavorful. It is seasoned with both fresh and dry herbs to make it flavorful and also includes a mix of different vegetables to provide the sauce with different textures and flavors. This sauce is really easy to make, taste wonderfully and is healthy at the same time. It is also perfect to use for making stews, serve with rice or use for baked casseroles and similar dishes. This sauce is both vegan, gluten, grain free and low carb.
A few tips:
- Use good quality canned tomatoes. It really makes the biggest difference.
- That also goes for the tomatoes. Don’t use the cheap and tasteless once, that will make the tomato sauce bland and boring.
- I used aubergine, mushrooms and bell pepper in my sauce, but you can use any vegetables you like or have at home. Or just make the tomato sauce.
- I used zucchini when making this dish, but you can of course also serve the sauce with regular pasta.
- The sauce is perfect to use for other purposes as well. In stews, lasagna, casseroles or serve it with rice to mention a few.
Ingredients for this Zucchini Pappardelle with Tomato & Vegetable Sauce:
- Canned tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Yellow onion
- Dry oregano
- Dry basil
- Cherry tomatoes
- Yellow bell pepper
- Fresh basil
- Fresh parsley
Other recipes you might like:
- Vegan Zucchini Ricotta Rolls (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Open Lentil Moussaka (Vegan & Oil Free)
- Zucchini Enchiladas with Black Beans (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Puttanesca with Noodles (Vegetarian, Gluten, Dairy, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Pasta Alla Norma (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
Zucchini Pappardelle with Tomato & Vegetable Sauce (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- 1 Green zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 Yellow zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 can Canned tomatoes
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- 1 Yellow onion chopped
- 1-2 tsp Dry oregano
- 1-2 tsp Dry basil
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 10-15 Cherry tomatoes of good quality divided in two
- 3 Mushrooms quartered
- 1/2 Yellow bell pepper diced
- 1/2 small Eggplant diced
- 5-6 Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh parsley, to taste (optional)
- Arugula, to top
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Fry the garlic and onion for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add eggplant, bell pepper and mushrooms to the pan and fry until the vegetables starts to get golden.
- Now add the fresh tomatoes and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the canned tomatoes into the pan and add the dry oregano and basil.
- Let it simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile slice the zucchini using a mandolin, and then cut the slices in two lengthwise.
- Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper, and additional herbs and spices if needed.
- Put the zucchini pappardelle on two plates.
- Add the tomato sauce and top with fresh basil, parsley and arugula.
4 thoughts on “Zucchini Pappardelle with Tomato & Vegetable Sauce (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)”