This recipe is for a delicious, flavorful and fresh Oyster Mushroom Ceviche. This recipe takes maximum 10 minutes to make (not counting the rest time) and only requires a few ingredients. Serve this oyster mushroom ceviche as an appetizer in small bowls or on spoons, as a starter in a bowl or glass or as a main dish. This ceviche is both vegan, gluten, grain, oil free and low carb.
Ceviche is one of my all time favorite dishes! If I see a ceviche on the menu when eating out I always order it. Ceviche is a South American dish usually made with white fish and seasoned with green lemon or lime, cilantro, red onion and salt. But there are a lot of different versions using salmon, shrimps, scallops and different types of fruits. If you’ve been following me for a while you know fish and seafood are my first choices when cooking. And ceviche is one of my favorite dishes to make and to eat. Therefore I’ve been experimenting a lot, making all different kind of ceviches last couple of years. And now it was time to make a vegan version. This ceviche is made using oyster mushrooms, I chose it due to the similar texture to fish. I also added some cherry tomatoes and cucumber to add some crunch and freshness to the ceviche and seasoned it with green chili, lime, fresh ginger, cilantro and salt. This ceviche is perfect to serve as an appetizer in small glasses or on spoons, as a starter in a glass or bowl or as a main course. It is both vegan, gluten, grain, oil free and low carb.
A few tips:
- Cut the oyster mushrooms into bites sized pieces. You neither want too big pieces taking over the whole dish nor too small pieces barely feeling the oyster mushrooms.
- The amount of chili, cilantro and lime can be adapted according to taste.
- This dish can be prepared in advance. I would actually recommend you to make it in advance and then let the oyster mushrooms, tomato and cucumber soak up the spices and lime juice.
- If preparing it in advance store it in the fridge and then take it out of the fridge 10 minutes before serving.
- This recipe makes two main dishes, 4 appetizers or 10-12 appetizers.
Ingredients for this Oyster Mushroom Ceviche:
- Oyster mushrooms
- Cherry tomatoes
- Green chili
- Fresh ginger
- Sea salt
Other recipes you might like:
- Asian Style Tofu Steak (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Spicy Oyster Mushroom Bowl (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Scallops with Spicy Mango Salsa
- Scallop Carpaccio with Avocado Cream & Fish Roe
- Salad Cups with Shrimps & Nectarine Salsa
Oyster Mushroom Ceviche (Vegan, Gluten, Grain, Oil Free & Low Carb)
- 3 dl Oyster mushrooms cut into smaller pieces
- 8 Cherry tomatoes cut in half and quartered (I cut half of them in half and half of them in quarters)
- 1/4 Cucumber diced
- 1 Scallion (both white and green part) thinly sliced
- 1/2-1 Green chili minced
- 1/2-1 tsp Fresh ginger grated
- 2-3 tbsp Cilantro (also using the stems) + more to top finely chopped
- 2-3 Lime, juiced
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cut the oyster mushrooms into smaller pieces and place in a big bowl.
- Add halved and quartered cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber, minced green chili, grated ginger and chopped cilantro. Mix to combine.
- Add juice from the limes and season with sea salt.
- Taste to check if more seasoning is needed.
- Let it rest for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Place in two bowls/glasses and top with more cilantro on top.