This recipe is for easy, healthy and super delicious Black Bean Fajitas. These black bean fajitas come together in only 20 minutes and only requires a few key ingredients. These Black Bean Fajitas are perfect to serve as appetizers, starters or main course. They are both vegan and gluten free.
Fajitas are such a great dish to make that is both easy, doesn’t have to be unhealthy at all and can be varied endlessly. My favorite is chicken fajitas. But this time I wanted to try a vegan version. To make it both nutritious, easy, wallet friendly and quick I chose to use black beans as the protein when making these vegan fajitas. I also added a few extra vegetables other than bell pepper and onion to make it more versatile, add some more colors, textures and flavors to the dish. And wow did they turn out great! These vegan black bean fajitas as super easy to make, only require a few ingredients and the topping can be varied depending on taste and what you have at home. I chose to serve them with a quick and easy home made salsa, sliced avocado, vegan sour cream and scallion. These vegan black bean fajitas are perfect to serve as appetizers, starters or main course.
A few tips:
- When frying the vegetables make sure to use a hot pan so that they vegetables get a nice browned surface, become warm and tender, but still not soggy and fully cooked through.
- You can adjust the amount of seasoning depending on taste and preferences. I like to make them quite spicy, so I actually actually used more seasoning then the recipes calls for.
- I used a vegan sour cream, but you can also use Creme Fraiche or similar.
- I made an easy and quick home made salsa, but you can also use a store bought one if you want to. But I would recommend you to try and make your own. It’s really quick and easy to make.
- If you want to make these more low carb you can swap the tortilla bread for a low carb option or salad cups instead.
Ingredients for these Black Bean Fajitas:
- Red bell pepper
- Red chili
- Yellow onion
- Paprika powder
- Chili powder
- Lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
- Black beans
- Onion powder
- Gluten free tortilla bread
- Vegan sour cream
Other recipes you might like:
- Zucchini Enchiladas with Black Beans (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Halloumi Tacos (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Hot Smoked Salmon Tacos with Orange (Gluten Free)
- Asian Style Salad Cups with Shrimps
- Spicy Chicken Tacos (Gluten Free)
Black Bean Fajitas (Vegan & Gluten Free)
For the salsa
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1/2-1 Red chili (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1-2 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 Yellow onion
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Paprika powder
- 1/4-1 tsp Chili powder (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- Sea salt, to taste
For the fajitas
- Olive oil
- 1/2 Zucchini cut into 2-3 cm long pieces
- 1/2-1 Aubergine/Eggplant cut into 2-3 cm long pieces
- 2 Yellow onion cut into thin wedges
- 2 Red bell peppers cored and sliced
- 1 (230g) can Black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2+1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2+1/2 tsp Paprika powder
- 1/2+1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2+1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 8 Tortilla bread
- 2 hands full of Spinach and mangold leaves
- 1 Avocado pitted and sliced
- 1-2 dl Vegan sour cream or Creme Fraiche
- 1/2 Scallion thinly sliced
- 1 Lime cut into wedges
- Cilantro, to taste
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- When the pan is hot add the aubergine, zucchini, bell pepper and onion to the pan and season with half of the seasoning. Fry until softened and golden brown.
- Preheat another nonstick pan over medium heat with a little olive oil.
- When about 2-3 minutes remain for the vegetables to be ready add the black beans and season with the remaining seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Meanwhile add the ingredients for the salsa to a high speed blender and mix until you have a completely smooth salsa or just until almost smooth with some chunks of tomatoes left. Taste to see if more seasoning is needed. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat the tortillas in a microwave, skillet or the oven.
- Assemble the fajitas by placing some green leafs at the bottom of the tortilla breads.
- Add the fried vegetables and black beans on top.
- Top with salsa, scallion, sliced avocado, sour cream and cilantro.