This is an easy, delicious and flavorful dish made with Honey Roasted Carrots and Mint & Cauliflower Purée. This dish is really easy to make, only requires a few key ingredients, is easy to adapt and only requires 10 minutes of your time, the rest is taken care of by the oven and stove. Serve this dish on its own as a main course, as a side dish to you main dish or include it in a buffet or sharing dinner. This dish is both vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
What the most important thing in a dish for you? For me it’s all about mixing different textures and tastes! You can use really basic ingredients, but by mixing textures and tastes make a wonderful and interesting dish out of them. This is a great example! We have carrots, honey, cauliflower, mint, feta cheese and pomegranate seeds in this dish. If you would have told me these ingredients I wouldn’t been starstruck, because I would have imagined overcooked vegetables. But it really is amazing how you actually can turn basic ingredients into something delicious, flavorful and interesting. And the other thing that I really want to highlight is that you don’t need many ingredients at all to make a wonderful dish! Just let your imagination fly. This is a dish made with delicious, tender, yet a little crunchy honey roasted carrots served on a creamy and wonderful bed of mint and cauliflower purée, topped with salty feta cheese and tart and crunchy pomegranate seeds. How simple is that? This dish is ready in 30 minutes, but really only requires 10 minutes of your time. This dish is good to serve on it’s own as a main course or to include in a sharing dinner or buffet. It is both vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
A few tips:
- I prefer to use small carrots for this dish, they should be delicate and not too big.
- Use equally sized carrots to make sure the baking time is the same for all of them.
- Bake the carrots until softened and tender, but they should still have some chewing resistance left.
- Tahini is optional, but recommended. It provides a nice earthy and creamy texture to the purée and dish.
- I like to leave some chunks of cauliflower in the purée and not make it completely smooth. But make it as smooth as you prefer.
Ingredients for these Honey Roasted Carrots with Broccoli & Cauliflower Purée:
- Dijon mustard
- Sea salt
- Tahini (optional)
- Honey/Agave/Fiber Syrup
- Olive oil
- Feta cheese
- Pomegranate seeds
- Paprika or chili powder
Other recipes you might like:
- Smashed Potatoes with Creme Fraiche & Fish Roe
- Roasted Radish Salad (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Tomatoes On A Feta Cheese Yogurt Bed (Gluten, Grain, Oil Free & Low Carb)
- Baked Feta Cheese & Grape Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Beets & Carrots (Vegan & Gluten Free)
Honey Roasted Carrots with Mint & Cauliflower Purée (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
For the broccoli and cauliflower purée
- A bunch of Fresh mint
- 1/4 medium sized Cauliflower head divided into smaller pieces
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2-1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 tbsp Tahini (optional)
For the carrots
- 8-10 small Carrots (I used carrots of different colors, but regular once will do as well) Washed and sliced in two length wise
- 1-2 tbsp Honey, agave or fiber syrup
- Olive oil, to taste
For the topping
- 1/2 package Feta cheese crumbled
- 1-2 tbsp Pomegranate seeds
- Paprika or chili powder
- Bring water to a boil and add the cauliflower (for faster cook time make smaller pieces of cauliflower florets), add some salt and lower the heat and let it simmer until soft. This takes approximately 20-30 minutes depending on the size of your florets.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Place the washed and sliced carrots on a parchment covered baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes (unless using bigger carrots, then it will take a little longer time). The carrots should be golden brown, tender, yet not fully cooked though. At least I prefer them with a little chewing resistance in the middle.
- When the cauliflower are done drain it well making sure all excess water is removed.
- Mix the cauliflower using a hand mixer.
- Season with lemon juice, a little dijon mustard, sea salt and tahini (if using) and stir to combine. Taste to check if more seasoning is needed.
- Place the purée at the bottom of a plate and add the carrots on top. Top with crumbled feta cheese, pomegranate seeds and paprika or chili powder.
- Serve warm.
6 thoughts on “Honey Roasted Carrots with Mint & Cauliflower Purée (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)”