This plate with roasted beets and carrots is a delicious and really easy side dish to make. It only requires two key ingredients (obviously) and is ready in 20 minutes. This plate is perfect to serve as a side dish or a light and delicious lunch. It is both vegan and gluten free.
Roasted beets and carrots is something I eat at least four times a week, not kidding. I really love both the texture, leaving them a bit crunchy, the charred surface and the sweet taste. This plate is made with mixed carrots and beets, but if you can’t find colored carrots or polka and yellow beets its perfect fine to make it with regular carrots and beets. The taste will be the same. But I love how the mix of colors make the dish so much pretties and tempting than with regular beets and carrots. This dish is perfect to serve as a side dish with just about everything. I serve it with both chicken, fish, meat and vegan options. Or I just make a big plate and eat it on its own as a main course. Along with the roasted beets and carrots I made an easy, fresh and tasty yogurt dressing. I made my dressing using parsley, cilantro and mint, bou can use any herbs you have at home or prefer. Then I topped the dish with hemp seeds to add a bit of a nutty flavor.
A few tips:
- Roast the veggies on high heat. This will make them golden brown on the surface but still a bit crunchy on the inside. If you bake them on lower heat they will get more softa and soggy without a nice brown surface.
- Try to slice the beets and carrots into equally thick/sized pieces to make sure they all have the same baking time.
- I used avocado oil when baking these beets and carrots, and I really recommend you to use it. It give them a lovely taste. But regular olive oil or no oil can be used as well.
- These roasted beets and carrots can be prepared in advance or even used for meal prep purpose. I would recommend you to reheat them on low (50-75 degrees Celsius) in the oven. But they can also be reheated in a microwave.
- They are good to store in the fridge for up to four days.
Ingredients for these Roasted Beets & Carrots:
- Red beetroot
- Yellow beetroot
- Polka beetroot
- Orange carrot
- Purple carrot
- Yellow carrot
- Sea salt
- Avocado oil
- Hemp seeds
- Vegan greek yogurt
- Fresh herbs (I used parsley, cilantro and mint)
- Lemon juice
- Lemon zest
Other recipes you might like:
- Orange & Fennel Salad
- Shaved Carrot Salad (Vegan, Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Tomatoes on a Feta Cheese Yogurt Bed
- Grilled Romane Lettuce Salad
- Roasted Summer Vegetables
Roasted Beets & Carrots (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- 1 Red beetroot sliced into wedges
- 1 Yellow beetroot sliced into wedges
- 1 Polka beetroot sliced into wedges
- 1 Orange carrot divided in two lenghtwise (or four if large)
- 1 Purple carrot divided in two lenghtwise (or four if large)
- 1 Yellow carrot divided in two lenghtwise (or four if large)
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1-2 tsp Avocado oil (optional)
- Hemp seeds, to garnish
For the yogurt sauce
- 3-4 tbsp (Vegan) greek yougurt (or similar)
- 2 tbsp Fresh herbs (I used parsley, mint and cilantro)
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Lemon zest, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Celsius.
- Slice the carrots and beets. Add to a parchment covered baking pan and add avovado oil and salt and combine well.
- Bake in the oven for 15-25 minutes, until softish (I prefer them with some chewing resistance) and golden brown.
- Meanwhile combine the ingredients for the yogurt sauce.
- When veggies are ready put them on a plate, add yogurt dressing on top or serve on the side and top with hemp seeds.