This recipe is for an easy & simple yet very delicious and fresh salad. This salad only requires a few key ingredients and comes together in a few minutes. It’s perfect to serve as a side salad to you main course or as an appetizer.
Who else loves orange seasons? A few years ago… actually only about one year ago my mind set was always that fruits should be eaten as a snack or for dessert… and never included in food. Maybe because I have some bad fruit and food experiences from my childhood. I immediately think of pizza with pineapple or banana and curry that is a common pizza in Sweden.. and its the worst combination I can come to think of. So growing up and only hearing about these dishes that include fruit in the main dish I’ve always been thinking NO!! But then a year ago I saw a recipe that made me really intrigued to try adding fruit to my cooking. And then I got hooked. Now I really see fruit as a really fresh addition that add so much texture and nice flavor to a dish. Like this easy, simple yet very delicious salad mad with fennel, orange, blood orange and sunflower sprouts. It’s such a nice, gentle yet flavorful side dish to serve with any main course you like. I prefer to serve mine with fish or chicken, just because I think it balances up these proteins in such a wonderful way and adds a nice nd dynamic flavor to a chicken or fish dish. I served this side salad with a really basic and simple orange and lime dressing that adds even more freshness to this dish.
A few tips:
- Use a mandolin when shaving the fennel. You want it to be very thin and crispy.
- Put the fennel in ice cold water until serving the side salad. This will prevent the fennel from getting soggy and will keep it fresh and crispy.
- I really recommend you to file the orange to avoid the dry and chewy parts.
Ingredients for this Orange & Fennel Salad:
- Blood orange
- Sunflower sprouts
- Lemon juice
- Orange juice
- Sea salt
- Rice vinegar
- Fish sauce
Other recipe you might like:
- Grapefruit Salad with Shaved Fennel, Dates & hazelnuts (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Citrus & Mozzarella Salad (Gluten Free)
- Peach Mozzarella Caprese
- Shaved Carrot Salad (Vegan, Gluten Free, Low Carb)
Orange & Fennel Salad
For the salad
- 1/2 Fennel shaved on a mandolin
- 1 Orange peeled & separated
- 1 Blood orange peeled & separeted
- 1 hand full Sunflower sprouts
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Orange juice
- A pinch of Sea salt
- 1 tsp Rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Fish sauce (otpional)
For the salad
- Peel and separate the blood orange and orange.
- Shave the fennel using a mandolin.
- Add oranges and fennel to a bowl together with the sunflower sprouts.
For the sauce
- Combine lime juice, orange juice, rice vinegar, sea salt and fish sauce (is ufing) in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the sauce over the salad and serve with main course.
2 thoughts on “Orange & Fennel Salad”