This recipe is for a delicious, flavorful and colorful Sweet Potato & Beet Salad. This dish requires just a few key ingredients and almost no effort from your end. It is perfect to serve either as a starter, main dish or side dish to your main course. It is both vegetarian, gluten and grain free.
Eating colorful makes life that much better. Do you agree? I mean.. if you compare a dull and colorless dish to this sweet potato and beetroot salad that is filled with different colors you have to admit a colorful plate is more tempting than the dull one?! At least for me eating colorful is key! I always try to include at least 3-4 different colors in my meals. Not only is it very appealing for the eye, but it’s also a great way of making sure you eat different vitamins, antioxidants and nutrients! You don’t really have to know what they all contain, but if you want to make sure to eat a good variety of the above eating colorful is an easy and fun way of making sure you get a good variety of them. This salad is not only colorful and beautiful, it’s also easy to make, taste delicious and have a variety of tastes and textures. You have the sweet potatoes that are creamy on the inside and crunchy on the outside. You have delicate and sweetish tender beets. The capers add a nice lemony and tangy taste. You have creamy and tangy feta cheese. And you have the fresh mint. This dish is really a great combination of so many different tastes and texture, yet simple and delicate at the same time. Serve this dish as a starter, main dish or side dish to you main course. It is both vegetarian, gluten and grain free.
A few tips:
- Start by cooking the beets since they take the longest time. I usually dice them before cooking to reduce the cooking time.
- I prefer my beets al dente and not fully cooked through. But you can cook them according to your preferences.
- Next prepare the sweet potatoes. They take between 15-20 minutes to bake depending on how thick your wedges are.
- I did not use any olive oil for my sweet potatoes, but you can add it if you like.
- Make sure to use a creamy and flavorful feta cheese. It really makes the biggest difference compared to some of the cheaper once that are more dry and crumbly.
Ingredients for this Sweet Potato & Beet Salad:
- Sweet potato
- Red beetroot
- Yellow beetroot
- Polka beetroot
- Feta cheese
- Green leafs
- Mint leafs
- Olive oil (optional)
Other recipes you might like:
- Beetroot Salad with Blueberries (Vegan, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Roasted Summer vegetables (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Beetroot Carpaccio Using Cooked Beets (Vegan, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Shaved Carrot Salad (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Beets & Carrots (Vegan, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Summer Salad with Sweet Potatoes & Fried Peach (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Halloumi & Sweet Potato Stack (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Tray Roasted Vegetables with Baked Feta (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
Sweet Potato & Beet Salad (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- 1 medium Sweet potato washed and cut into wedges
- 1 Red beetroot washed and quartered
- 1 Yellow beetroot washed and quartered
- 1 Polka beet washed and quartered
- 1 package Feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tbsp Capers
- 1-2 hands full of Green leafs
- 5-6 Mint leafs finely chopped
- 1/2 Lemon juice, to top
- Olive oil (optional)
- Bring water to a boil in a pot with some salt.
- Remove the root from the beets and dice them. Add the beets to the boiling water. Lower the heat and let them shimmer for 25-35 minutes, until they are al dente or soft (depending on how you prefer them).
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the sweet potato into wedges and place on a parchment covered baking sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil (if using, I did not use it). Bake for 15-20 minutes, until soft and golden brown.
- When the beets are done drain them and run under water for a few seconds. Let them cool for just a few seconds then remove the peel.
- Place green leafs on a plate.
- Top with baked sweet potatoes, cooked beets, capers, crumbled feta cheese, lemon juice and chopped mint leafs. Serve warm!