This is a delicious recipe for a Swedish råraka (hash brown) served with fried chanterelles, lingonberries and cheese. You only need a hand full of ingredients and 15-20 minutes to make this råraka. Serve it as a starter, for lunch or brunch, make larger ones and serve them as a main course or smaller ones and serve as appetizers/finger food. These råraka are vegetarian, gluten and grain free.
Swedish råraka, one of our most beloved dishes! It is usually served with Creme Fraiche, red onion and caviar/fish roe. But it is actually delicious to make with all different kind of toppings adapted according to season. One of my fall favorites is with fried chanterelles, lingonberries, parsley and cheese. It is tasty, crispy, easy to make and a mix of lovely flavors and textures. Not to mention the wonderful rustic look and feeling it brings. This råraka with chanterelles, lingonberries and cheese is perfect to serve both for lunch/brunch, as a starter, main course or make smaller ones and serve as appetizers/finger food.
A few tips:
- Clean the chanterelles well to make sure you don’t have dirt or sand on them.
- Cut larger chanterelles into slightly smaller pieces.
- Squeeze out as much excess water as possible from the grated potatoes to prevent it from turning out too wet and the potatoes from cooking instead of frying.
- Fry the hash browns on medium/high heat until they are golden brown before flipping them, this takes 3-4 minutes, otherwise you risk breaking them.
- I would recommend you to use a silicon spatula to flip the hash browns.
- Fry chanterelles on medium heat until the water has evaporated, then add oil/butter along with white pepper and fry until golden brown.
- I used pecorino for these hash browns, but have made this dish with parmigiano reggiano, gruyere, manchego and Swedish Västerbotten cheese as well. You can use any flavorful cheese that you like or have at home.
Ingredients for this Råraka/Swedish Hash Brown with Chanterelles & Lingonberries:
- White pepper
- Creme Fraiche
- Pecorino (or other flavorful cheese)
- Fresh parsley
- Olive oil or butter
Other recipes you might like:
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Prawns (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Hasselback Potatoes with Chanterelles & Gruyere (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Hasselback Potatoes Three Ways with A Mix Of Asian Influences (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Savory Oat Waffles Italian Style with Burrata & Cherry Tomatoes (Gluten Free)
- Chanterelle Toasts (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Råraka with Chanterelles/Swedish Hash Brown with Chanterelles (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Plums & Feta Cheese (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Swedish Tapas (Gluten & Oil Free)
Råraka/Swedish Hash Brown with Chanterelles & Lingonberries (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- 8 medium Potatoes grated
- 200 g Chanterelles cleaned and cut into smaller pieces if needed
- 1/2 tsp White pepper
- 4 tbsp Creme Fraiche
- 6-7 tbsp Pecorino (or any other flavorful cheese of your liking) grated
- Fresh parsley chopped
- Olive oil or butter, to fry
- Grate the potatoes and squeeze out as much excess water as possible.
- Preheat two nonstick pans over medium heat.
- Add cleaned chanterelles to one of the pans and let them fry until the water has evaporated. Add a little bit of olive oil or butter and white pepper and fry until golden brown.
- Add olive oil or butter to the other pan.
- Form equally sized, flat, potato patties and fry in the pan until golden brown on each side. Make sure not to flip them too early, or they might break. Let them fry on medium heat for at least 3-4 minutes before trying checking if they're ready to flip.
- Place råraka/hash browns on plates, top with fried chanterelles, Creme Fraiche, grated cheese, lingonberries and chopped parsley. Serve immediately while warm.